SQL Server Needs Incremental Updates

• I can't agree with Brian more. Without native XML storage capability, and a major release in 5+ years, SQL Server does compromise its market position. The recommendation about VS IDE integration of yours was insightful and some gradual changes to DTS are neccessary. Looking at the DTS 2005 now, I realize I need to unlearn a lot and learn a lot.

The newly added For XML Path switch in SQLXML (TSQL) is wonderful, my SQL Wish to this would be just that SQL Server can generate a template for the predictible SQL Scripts (For XML Path) once the users tell SQL Server the XSD required. This is particularly convinient when we have a 200+ elements of XSD that we need to fulfill.

After this long wait, hopefully we can have a SQL Server 2008 ready!!!!

• The length of time between releases is not a major thing with me or my organization especially if you have a product that works and SQL Server 2000 does just that. The big constraint that I totally agree with Brian on is the significance of the changes, which are needed and are extremely exciting, BUT are huge and as a result are potentially overwhelming to DBA's (explain below) and to the organization in the implementation process. I have been working with the BETA since the first release and some areas have taken me a LOT of getting used to. Without going on another rant, I have been poking at MS for quite some time (not through effective channels obviously) that they needed to develop a better training set so that they could increase the skill set of the SQL Server DBA's in the technology world today. I believe this release is going to fully expose this weakness. The SQL Server 2000 product set is so easy to configure and maintain that it has bred a weak group of DBA's in the market (I say this with fear in that I know there are a lot of great ones too, most on this site, covering up here....). This next release of SQL Server changes things significantly. I am enthusiastic about the Tech Presentations that are being run and I am working with the DBA's on my team to work through these but again, this is not going to be enough AND I really don't believe that the standard training offerings are going to be sufficient to bring this release of the DBMS to the level of support that is going to be required in the larger organizations where millions of dollars of business are going to run through this platform.

So, couple big changes with a significant increase in skill set required to maintain the product and I believe you have a big potential for a problem in relation to your products appearance to the customer. I'm highly confident that the product will be solid upon release and will be an extremely efficient DBMS but to make the product perform to the level that is going to be required for your larger organizations, which is where they are trying to go today with this release, is going to take a different mentality and breed of DBA's. Not sure this is being taken into account as it should....

Ok, I know, I ranted.... Sorry.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply