SQL Server logon audit

• Hello everyone,

We're looking to setup monitoring for all the logins that log on to a SQL server instance. The information we need to capture is application name, login name, client host name, client host ip address. We had used logon trigger to get this information in the past but we no longer want to use logon trigger for this. I looked for options like SQL Server audits, extended events, server side traces, event notifications etc. but I am yet to decide on the best approach for this. Amongst the ones specified above, Can anyone suggest what the best approach would be? Is there any other approach apart from these? We're using SQL Server 2016.

Thanks in advance!!

• Third-party tool is another option.  Only you know your system, and only you know why you rejected logon triggers, so it's difficult for us to advise you on what's best given the information we have.

John

• Thanks for replying, John. Basically we wanted to stop using logon trigger because a minor mistake with the configuration of logon trigger can lead to locking down the whole instance. So we did not want such a high risk option for achieving something simpler. I was looking for suggestions on what could be better amongst the approaches i specified in my question and if there could be something else as well.

• If you test properly, you should have nothing to fear.  But if it's a case of once bitten, twice shy, why not just capture logins in the errorlog?  It doesn't tell you the application name, but that can be spoofed anyway.  You'd need to make sure you've got enough space on disk to accommodate the extra rows in the errorlog, and make sure you recycle the log frequently.  The other things you mentioned are also possibilities, but, as I said before, we really don't have enough information to make any recommendations.  Each approach has its own level of complexity, performance hits and network and disk space requirements.

John

• What about capturing via xp_Readerrorlog and keep pushing it to a table or Configure Audit log . 

Boils down to if you want notification for login ( Success or Failure ) or you want to store all the information on the login .
  • Don't use a logon trigger. Go with an extended event:

https://voiceofthedba.com/2015/12/16/tracking-logins-with-extended-events/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply