Sql server Log shipping across internet

• Dear all,

In my production server environment i configured log shipping in local network another server.Due to some security lapse both the server affected virus. now i have idea about configure the log shipping over the internet. My question is this is correct idea or tell me good suggestion .

Suppose its possible means , how i will configure log shipping over the internet? Please suggest me automate  good backup suggestion for over the internet.

• vs.satheesh - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:19 AM

Dear all,

In my production server environment i configured log shipping in local network another server.Due to some security lapse both the server affected virus. now i have idea about configure the log shipping over the internet. My question is this is correct idea or tell me good suggestion .

Suppose its possible means , how i will configure log shipping over the internet? Please suggest me automate  good backup suggestion for over the internet.

If there is a trust between the sites, just setup a share available to both sites and set things up just as any other.
    If there is no trust, you usually customize the jobs - send files to the other site via FTP write some custom restore procedure. There are plenty of examples of doing this available on the internet.
    There could be other ways that may meet your needs better but we don't know the purpose of the log shipping - things like DR only? Is this for some other reporting? Is this for HA? If you really are on SQL Server 2008 and this is for DR then log shipping is often used for this.

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:12 AM

vs.satheesh - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:19 AM

Dear all,

If there is a trust between the sites, just setup a share available to both sites and set things up just as any other.
    If there is no trust, you usually customize the jobs - send files to the other site via FTP write some custom restore procedure. There are plenty of examples of doing this available on the internet.
    There could be other ways that may meet your needs better but we don't know the purpose of the log shipping - things like DR only? Is this for some other reporting? Is this for HA? If you really are on SQL Server 2008 and this is for DR then log shipping is often used for this.

Sue

Thank you for your reply. I want log shipping DR purpose only. please help me how to configure through internet.How to share the folder?

• This is the same as a file copy. How would you copy a file from Server A to Server B?

You want security. Even if this is your music CD database, someone will hack it and mess with you for fun. So you need a VPN or secure share method. Even Dropbox would work if these are small files.

The process is that Server A (source) creates a file. Then Server A or Server B can copy the file to a new location. This is the same as any file copy. Then Server B restores the log backup to it's database. The part across the Internet is how to share a file across the Internet. There are multiple ways of doing this, but it's hard to say "do it this way" or "here's a tutorial". Ideally you would have a VPN and just let a normal file copy occur between two windows machines.

There are tutorials for log shipping. You should understand how this works: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2008-r2/bb510542(v=sql.105)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply