SQL Server is NOT taking allocated Max Memory

• madhu-686862 (10/25/2013)

That means, clearly some OS process is taking lot of memory. But how to find what it is?

GilaMonster (10/22/2013)

Look in Task manager (though note that it lies) and the memory-related counters in perfmon, including those in the process object.

In Task manager, I did NOT see any OS process taking lots of memory :crying:

No one said it was an OS process (other than you)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQL Server is already taking all the memory it can. That's why lowering the Max Memory allocation didn't change anything.

What other programs or processes are running on this server? Does this machine have 12 GB of memory available or does it only have 6? Is this a virtual server where there is another server taking that memory?

• madhu-686862 (10/25/2013)

That means, clearly some OS process is taking lot of memory. But how to find what it is?

In Task manager, I did NOT see any OS process taking lots of memory:crying:

It could also mean that whatever you are doing on INS1 and INS2 don't require any more memory than they are using and as a consequence doesn't use it.

How much memory shows up in system idle processes in task manager? - That is your available free memory. If its a low percentage you have something else taking up resources - so look to see what that something is! If on the other hand it is up around 90%+ then you aren't running anything which needs more than 10% of memory.

• You mention application queries.

This might imply you have other processes (IIS, SSAS, SSRS, etc.) running on the machiine.

These are not included in the SQL instance memory, even thought some may be part of the SQL install.

I'd start by looking in perfmon for indications that the system in paging out.

Process Explorer (part of the old Sys Internals toolset) might give a better look than task manager.

SQL Server only uses the memory it needs, and Max Memory is used as a guideline for it to clear out older / less frequently used items. Reducing this, and your results showing that very little really changed, shows that something else besides SQL Server is demanding memory.

I agree with Gail - this is what you need to track down.

You do not mention performance issues, just memory allocation.

Although I would suspect that performance be degraded started the hunt.

There are many things that can contribute to this, but start with the simple checks on what is really running.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply