SQL Server Is DisKrazy

• I recently installed SQL Server on my computer for the first time. Now I notice that my hard disk(s) is constantly working when the SQL Server service is running, even if I'm not doing anything relating to SQL Server. I created a short batch file to toggle on/off the SQL Server service since all the disk noise is irritating. But I just wanted to see if all this disk access was normal, and if anyone had any recommendations on how to lessen/stop it, short of actually stopping the service?

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• Do you have databases with auto-close, auto-shrink on. That may be causing disk activity...

• Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be it. Maybe this is just how it's supposed to work? If so, kind of a bummer.

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• its not normal that for sure.....how much memory do you have?

its possible that you do not have enough memory avail. to sql therefor its is having to use the pagefile....might want to check you task manager if you have not already

• I have 2GB. I have confirmed that sql server is the process that is performing constant activity on my hard drive(s), but beyond that I don't know what else to check.

• SQL is going to take as much memory as it can, if you check your task manager it should be the top of your list as far as memory useage.

if its not and you have others thing taking up you memory then chances are it is running on the disk.

after that I would check out activity monitor in SSMS you should be able to find out what resource is running that is causing the problem

• Some essentials to know:

What is the size of the database in question?

What is the growth set for the log and data files?

How many transactions/sec do you see?

What is the fragmentation level of your log files?

What is the fragmentation of your indexes?

Are your statistics up to date?

What is the fragmentation of the disk subsystem?

What is your RAID config?

What is your allocation unit size (64k)?

Have your disks been aligned?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Please confirm it sounds like this was installed on a desktop/laptop...so my guess is there is really nothing running on it as of yet?

• Yeah, it's just a super-dinky setup on my home computer with absolutely nothing hitting it. Thanks!

• Can you provide the info requested in my last post?

You are possibly experiencing a lot of paging due to lack of memory.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• sound like the disk is running .....when you are not really doing anything within sql server....its just up and running in the background...you are not hitting it with any queries or apps?

• I'm sorry, CirquedeSQLeil, but I literally don't even understand most of what your last post was asking. My computer has 2GB memory. I have a few test/sample databases including AdventureWorks that total about 300MB. There are no transactions that I'm aware of since none of these databases are in use, but if there are secret transactions that I can look into I'd be glad to!

• 456789psw (11/24/2010)

sound like the disk is running .....when you are not really doing anything within sql server....its just up and running in the background...you are not hitting it with any queries or apps?

Correct.

• so again ....its sounds like sql does not have enough memory and running on disk...my guess is if you look in your task manager...you have a lot of other thing running taking up memory....

so at the end of the day I would say 2 gig is probably not enough.....just a guess....I would just go into your services and set it to stop when it is not being used.

slq is really is not set up to fight with other resources for memory....its designed to run on a server with nothing but the os running and maybe app running on it ....that is if min and max mem is set....

good luck sorry couldnt be much help

• 456789psw (11/24/2010)

so again ....its sounds like sql does not have enough memory and running on disk...my guess is if you look in your task manager...you have a lot of other thing running taking up memory...good luck sorry couldnt be much help

It looks like it's only using about 375MB memory with not much else fighting for it. But you're probably right, I don't have any idea.

I'll just keep using my toggle on/off batch file to disable this annoying service when I'm not actively using it.

And much thanks to you all for the replies. Some day I'll understand this stuff and be less incompetent. Promise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply