SQL Server health check

• If I want to do a SQL Server health check, which aspects should be checked?  and how often this health check should be done ? thanks!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• A health check is generally not done very often. A server health check is looking at the server configuration, settings, etc., to determine whether or not they are appropriate for the hardware. Additionally a health check can include some performance aspects such as looking at wait statistics on the server to understand where bottlenecks exist. The reason for this is because those bottlenecks can also suggest where to check that settings are correct.

As to frequency, I'd say any time you're new to a system, do a full examination of it, and then, any time hardware or settings are changed. Other than that, they're generally not needed. This assumes of course, the servers are under your control and you have good change tracking, source control, etc. If they're not under your control, maybe, monthly spot checks to see if anything has changed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thank you Grant Fritchey for you kind and patient assistance !

• good and well-known tool for that :

https://www.brentozar.com/blitz/

• There are lots of tools for doing health checks. I just found this one: https://mitchwheat.com/sqlfrontline/

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply