SQL Server Express ODBC Default DB

• I have created a SQL Server Express database using MS Visual Studio 2005 and need to create an ODBC connection to this database to allow other non-vb.net applications to connect to it.  When going into the ODBC configuration tool, I enter "localhost\sqlexpress" for the server and choos "SQL Native Client" for the driver.  When on the section for choosing the default database, the database does not appear.

How can I set up the default database to reference this database file?

I appreciate any help available.

Thanks,

Larry

• I tried creating an ODBC conn to one of the databases in my SQL Server Express and it worked just fine. Would the problem be a security issue? I am using the db owner as I create the connection.

Monica

• Monica,

I don't think that it is a security issue.  I can create the ODBC DSN, but I don't see my DB listed in the default database drop down box.  How do I get ODBC to reference this database?

Thanks,

Larry

• Hi Larry,

When I created the connection, I was able to see all my databases in the drop down menu. Is your db online?

• Monica,

I found the errror in my ways.  I had to download the SQL Manager Express application from Microsoft and use it to create my database.  Apparently VS 2005 creates the database but not in a fashon that the ODBC configuration tool can see.  After creating the database in SQL Manager Express, the ODBC configuration tool was able to see it.

Thanks again for your help!!

Larry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply