SQL Server Developer Edition - SSDT/SSIS?

• I just installed the SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition on my personal laptop. It shows that ssdt version 16 is present within the visual studio Suite but I cannot find any sort of way to begin development on an ssis project within visual Studio.

What am I missing here?

Do I have to install the stand-alone SSDT or something and if so, what specific version of SSDT?

Microsoft seems to make the whole SSDT/SSIS issue so incredibly vague/complicated.

Thanks in advance!

• If you want to develop SSIS propject for SQL Server 2019 you need at least version 15.8.1,  SSDT for VS 2017. SQL Server 2019 isn't supported on the 2016 version. I would suggest downloading either the latest standalone version of SSDT for VS 2017, or you can now use Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition (if you don't have a licence) and enable to SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS extensions.

All of how to do this is covered in the Download and install SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) for Visual Studio documentation.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• brad.mccollum wrote:

I just installed the SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition on my personal laptop. It shows that ssdt version 16 is present within the visual studio Suite but I cannot find any sort of way to begin development on an ssis project within visual Studio. What am I missing here? Do I have to install the stand-alone SSDT or something and if so, what specific version of SSDT? Microsoft seems to make the whole SSDT/SSIS issue so incredibly vague/complicated. Thanks in advance!

The key here is that the tools (SSMS, SSDT, SSIS, ADS, SSRS) are separate from the services (SQL Server, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS). Installing the developer edition of SQL Server doesn't install the tools. You have to go to a separate installation process for those. Honestly, this is wonderful news for host of reasons, but yeah, if you're used to the old model, it's weird.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply