SQL SERVER CLUSTER ACTIVE/ACTIVE AND ACTIVE/PASSIVE

• Which Step of installation  we have to make a different selections  options  in case of active/active and active/passive Installation.

Regards

• If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering if SQL Server 2000 on an A/A or A/P cluster is done at the server (OS) level or SQL Server, then the answer is both.  The OS of the machines must be set up before you can cluster SQL Server.

-- Cory

• If you have a two node Windows cluster, here's the breakdown:

1) One SQL Server Virtual Server installed - Active/Passive.

2) Two SQL Server Virtual Servers installed - Active/Active

This is kind of a naming convention, since both SQL Servers could be running on Physical Node A, both could be running on Physical Node B, or it could be one SQL Server Virtual Server per Physical Node (most common).

You will install SQL Server once to get an Active/Passive cluster, and once again to get an Active/Active. Both SQL Server virtual servers will have their own names, IP addresses, etc. Both servers should have their own disks (SAN).

There are some good whitepapers on Microsoft's site, and a couple here on SQLServerCenteral as well.

• Hi Chris,

Can u please provide me the links or any process documentation. As i want to clear my concepts for the the above installations.

Thanks

Singh

• You should learn the basic concepts of SQL Server clustering before implementing it. How the clustering works and its configuration is extremely important. In clustering, the resources (genrally hard drive) are shared. The cluster administrator is used to manage the nodes in the cluster. You can see same thing on all nodes. The nodes check each other's status by pinging each other through a private network (heartbeat signals) while the cluster is externally accessed by a public IP.

Pankaj Khanna
    Database Administrator - SQL Server 2000

Keep hope to keep you intact...

• hi chris,

i have sql clusters installed on server 2003.

i want to uninstall iis & again reinstall the iis.

i want to know if i will do that wheather cluster are get affected or works fine

also i want to know about IUSR_servername account.

by mistake i have deleted my IUSR account from groups on 2003 server.

as per my knowledge it gets created when you restart the server, but in my case it doesn't happens so can u guide me what to do on both issues.

thanks,

anant

• Can anyone tell me where can I find tutorials for sql server clustering from zero?

I'm new to the clustering... Can it solve a query using the different servers with different data; but with the same designs?

Thanks, beforehand

• Microsoft has a ton of information right here:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/technologies/highavailability/default.mspx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply