SQL Server Browser

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Browser

• The link provided in the answer states, "When SQL Server clients request SQL Server resources, the client network library sends a UDP message to the server using port 1434. SQL Server Browser responds with the TCP/IP port or named pipe of the requested instance. The network library on the client application then completes the connection by sending a request to the server using the port or named pipe of the desired instance."

Does this not contradict the reported explanation?

• I was just about to make the same point. It seems that Conecting via TCP/IP should be correct also?

• Agreed, I third the motion… 😉

Regards,

Joe Burdette
    hanesbrands.com

• I'll be the fourth then 😛

• Aaa I am late :(. But I agree with it, I was talking to Microsoft Engineer on recent course. Because every book tells me to turn of Browser service as it is not required. So I ask him why the heck Microsoft made it if most people recommend it to disable it.

After talking, it turned out the Browser service is required if you use a non-standard port for SQL Server. If you a non-standard port, and you have the browser service turned off, then you did have to enter the port information into the connection properties.

:).

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Perhaps things are mis-worded, but I think the answer is fine.

Connecting via IP and port would be connecting to my local server as 127.0.0.1, 1433

That would not use the Browser service. If I connected via SJONES, then the Browser would return the IP and port to my client, which would then connect.

• OK, I understand what you are saying. If my client connects by specifying the IP and Port then it would not use or need the Browser Service. Thanks for the explanation.

• Clear. Thanks for your explanation. I'm always having difficulties with semantics :unsure:

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/25/2008)

Perhaps things are mis-worded, but I think the answer is fine.

Connecting via IP and port would be connecting to my local server as 127.0.0.1, 1433

That would not use the Browser service. If I connected via SJONES, then the Browser would return the IP and port to my client, which would then connect.

I just read it again, I agree. Its one of those Microsoft certification questions, its sounds like but not quite what the question was asking heh. I guess if the option was "provide ip/port information", then it would be a correct option.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• By default, SQL Browser is installed with the Express editions, and since thats always a named instance this is always being required!! There are many non-DBAs who could accidentally disable this service and face trouble in connecting to their instances..

by the way, it appears that we can disable the browser service and instead always use the server name along with the port number for connecting to the SQL instance (from within the application).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply