SQL Server +AWS RDS alternate solutions

• We have been using SQL SERVER RDS instance in AWS, recently AWS has changed policies of BYOL(Bring Your Own License) model. Therefore, all our accounts were affected by abnormal invoices. Then, we started exploring to migrate the entire infrastructure to Windows Azure, but it can't be done immediately overnight due to other development dependencies. Between, I thought of migrating RDS to SQL Server Standard Version in EC2 which would save much money as the temporary solution. I'm looking for an automatic backup solution of SQL Server in EC2. It should take incremental backup for every 5 minutes time interval and one full backup in a day. These backups have to be stored in S3 bucket. I heard that cloudberrylab solves it. Any suggestions/insights are much appreciated.

Note: We don't have dedicated DBA and running the show with developers.

Thanks in Advance
    Mastan

• I've heard good things with Cloudberry, but haven't used it.

This might help: https://johnmccormack.it/2017/12/ec2-sql-server-backups-to-amazon-s3/

• Amazon tells you to expect disasters and cluster your SQL Servers. For each of our SQL Servers we use AlwaysOn with 3 SQL Server instances, which is 1 below Amazon's 4-instance recommendation. Costs rack up with that model, both in terms of SQL Server licensing/rental costs, and in terms of network utilization bills. With only one instance, I recommend regularly practicing a restore strategy, which is neither as simple nor as cheap as a backup strategy.

I cannot tell you how may times I have heard "We had (partial/creeping) disk/driver/motherboard/BIOS failure events, starting a while back. Eventually the system failed and we must now build a new system. We have backups, but they all post-date the start of the failures. When we restore those backups and check the database, we find it to be corrupted. The check says we must allow data loss. We can't afford data loss. What do we do?"
    Nobody has ever liked my answer ;).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply