SQL Server Agent

• I searched through the MS site to see if there was anything on this error, but couldn't find anything.

When I try to start SQL Server Agent, I'm getting "An error 5 - (access is denied) occured while performing this service operation on the SQLServer Agent service." We recently changed administrator passwords on all our servers, but everything seems to be correct in the settings and i'm nearly positive it was running after we changed passwords. not sure when this error started or what i could have possibly done to break it.

Any ideas?

• Did you stop and start sql after changing the passwords? If not it will continue running under the previous one.

I presume you have changed the password on the service again, just to make sure.

Steven

• quote:

We recently changed administrator passwords on all our servers, but everything seems to be correct in the settings and i'm nearly positive it was running after we changed passwords.

Any ideas?

When you change the passwords did you go into the controlpanel/services and change the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent password? If not do so, important you shouldn't stop these services from here, use the Service Manager tool for starting and stopping.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Actually, the "Service startup account" area is greyed out now. I can't change it to anything.

• quote:

Actually, the "Service startup account" area is greyed out now. I can't change it to anything.

You must be logged in as an Administator to change the passwords here. I typically use a Domain administrator account instead of a local administrator.

When you click on the startup button for the service click log on as this account, and type in the domain_name\administrator_account and then enter the password.

for example: MYDomain\SQLServerAdmin

Make sure that MYDomain\SQLServerAdmin has administrator rights and must be given Log on as a service right - Although if you are just changing passwords this should already be set.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• I was removed from the system administrator group. I figured this out a few minutes ago. I was able to fix the Agent problem from the server. People at my company like to make unannounced changes... like Monday when I came in and found the entire intranet and public website had been moved to a new server. And everyone wanted to know why nothing worked. =)

Thanks everyone.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply