SQL Server Agent won't start

• I am on SQL Server 7.0 SP3 on NT 4.0 SP6a

I have restored a database from one server to another. The only difference between the two servers (apart from their names MDB1 & MDB2) is that the SQLServerAgent logs are on D:\Data\Log on MDB1 and on C:\Data\Log on MDB2.

Prior to recovering the databases from MDB1 to MDB2 I was able to quite happily stop and start SQL Server Agent on MDB2. Now I cannot - It gives me the following message when I try it from the Services icon in Control Panel:

error 2140 : An internal Windows NT error occurred

When I look in event Viewer I get the following messages:

SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: unable to connect to server; SQLServerAgent cannot start)

and

Executable: C:\MSSQL\binn\sqlagebt.exe

Description: Unable_To_Set_RegKey_Val

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Petra

• I have seen issues if restoring the master database to a different directory causing the SQL Server service to fail but not the Agent service.

Did you restore the master as well? Is it really the agent service that is failing alone or is the SQL Server service failing as well?

Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Is SQL Agent running under a different account? This looks like a security error, or perhaps, the restoration of master may cause issues because the name of the server has changed (according to master). You may need to do an sp_dropserver, sp_addserver.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• SQL Server Agent, along with MSSQLServer and MSDTC all run under a domain account QHDOMAIN\SYSSQL. I am logged in as QHDOMAIN\PGlover. Until I did the restore from the other server I was able to stop and start all services on the server. Now I can start MSDTC and MSSQLServer but not SQLServerAgent.

I tried to do sp_dropserver 'AAGUKNUN_MDB1', 'droplogins' but I got the following message

Cannot drop server 'AAGUKNUN_MDB1' because it is used as a subscriber in replication.

• I have come to a radical decision! The server that I am restoring from will eventually be re-used as a development machine and the replication that is set up on it is redundant as no one is subscribing to it. Soooo what I am going to do is drop replication on that server, do a full set of backups and then restore the non-replication backup set onto the new server. That way I should have no problem with the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver procedures. Fingers crossed, everything might just work out fine after all.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, one day I might even know what I am doing (no chance of getting any training though!!!!) I will keep you posted as to the result of this new attempt.

• Thanks for the followup. Let us know what happens and I am sorry we could not be more help.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I have managed it! I did the restore and everything just fine.

The only odd thing I have is that when you look at the database information on the user database it says the owner is QHDOMAIN\PGlover but when I do sp_helpuser for the database it thinks dbo is sa - strange but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. I did my dbcc checkdb and everything was fine. So I am a happy little bunny today!

I really would like to thank you guys for all your help and assistance. If it wasn't for this site and you guys I would have run out of the office screaming a long time ago. We have no SQL Server experience and no one to turn to except you. So basically its you how is keeping me on the verge of sanity!

• You are welcome. Keep coming back!

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply