SQL Server Agent stops unexpectedly

• SQL 2016 Enterprise running on Server 2012

We migrated a lot of ETL jobs to a new server and after about a week of running the agent stopped on us one morning.  This happened again about 4 days later.

Nothing in the agent or SQL logs.

in both cases the event viewer showed an application error 1 second after a job was started, in one case it was an ETL job the other was for a cube rebuild (SSAS Cmd).

Error was the same in both cases. Also both times there was an error that the agent failed to restart due to access denied but first i'd like to understand why it stopped. I'm going to be applying the latest patch (SP 2 CU 7), but aside from that i don't have a direction to go.

Looking for any ideas.

Initial error:

Faulting application name: SQLAGENT.EXE, version: 2015.130.4446.0, time stamp: 0x596c1803

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18895, time stamp: 0x5a4b1cf7

Exception code: 0xe06d7363

Fault offset: 0x00000000000092fc

Faulting process id: 0x980

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4e38c668982b6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\SQLAGENT.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 47f8344f-a631-11e9-80d1-00505697197a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 second later got this error:

The description for Event ID 17052 from source MSSQLSERVER cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SQLServerAgent Monitor: SQLServerAgent has terminated unexpectedly.

• This is a very vague guess but could there be a .net framework difference between the old and new server that's causing the issue? I've not had problems with it on SQL server but on other applications that we've moved between servers. Was the old server running the same Windows and SQL versions?

• I know this is vague, i don't have a lot to go on, also didn't mention prior to moving these ETL's this server has been up and running for close to a year and running ETL jobs, just not this many.

Also i didn't mention that when the agent tried to restart it got an access denied message. So its possible the agent occasionally bombs and just restarts and nobody notices. So maybe that is the issue to focus on, i was more concerned about the fact that it stopped. Maybe that is just something that happens.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply