sql server agent goes missing

• There is some discrepancy happening on my dev server whcih has sql server 2005 sp3 enterprise edition installed.

The SSMS icon shows sql server managemnt studio express and inside GUI the sql server agent icon is not there.

Also, i checked in hte services panel in administrative tools, that all the services including sql server agent are running fine.

Why there is no sql server agent icon inside SSMS gui and also why it shows sql server managemnt studio express when it is enterprise edition??

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SQL Server Express 2005 does not have sql agent. Did you recently install sql server express?

Alex S
  • I ran

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

inside the sql server management studio express and it says

9.00.4035.00 SP3 Enterprise edition

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Also, if i try to connect to the that server from my local machine (having sql server 2005 sp3 installed) , then it successfully connects to that server sql server 2005 sp3 enterprise edition..in hte SSMS gui also, i can see sql server agent

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• well thank goodness it's a dev server.

Maybe those sneaky developers installed SSMS express on top of your sql server management studio.

check control panel

Alex S
  • @ alex..

Yes its only dev server.

Some developers dont ask me before doing any things ...:(

Yes, when i see in hte control panel, add or remove programs,

I can see both MS server 2005 enterprise and the express edition,

Should I remove hte express edition from there?

Will there be any effect on hte SQL server 2005 enterprise edition??

How should I proceed.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• You should uninstall both versions and then install the proper one.

Otherwise there will be many weird errors.

Alex S
  • is not Weird. If you use express management studio u can't see Sql Server agent and many other feature like (Sql Server profiler). Use sql Management studio

• @ pioulot

Agreed, its not weird but if i ran

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

inside the sql server management studio express

IT SHOULDN'T say

Now, thts weird...:(

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (2/1/2011)

@ pioulot

Agreed, its not weird but if i ran

inside the sql server management studio express

IT SHOULDN'T say

Now, thts weird...:(

Regards,

Sushant

Why ? GUI and Server is nio the same thing. You can have a Developper/Entreprise Server and the users can use Management Studio Express to connect at the server and See 9.00.4035.00 SP3 Enterprise edition

SELECT APP_NAME(),SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

If you try this for the same server with :Sql Management Studio and Management Studio Express. The only thing was different is APP_NAME()

• It may happen that both Express and Enterprise versions are installed in your sys. Check the Database Engine that you are connected.

try taking out a Discovery report which will help you knw exactly what all are installed in your system that are related to SQL.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/sql-server-2008-discovery-report.aspx :w00t:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply