SQL SERVER AGENT ERROR

• Hi everyone,

I received this netsend from SQL Server Agent: Unable to read local eventlog (reason: The handle is invalid).

When I look into the current error log I see nothing but if I go into the Event Viewer (windows 2000) I have more détails:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: EvntAgnt

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3006

Date:  3/16/2004

Time:  8:15:50 AM

User:  N/A

Computer: SQLNT4

Description:

Error reading log event record. Handle specified is 603544. Return code from ReadEventLog is 6.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT

Event Category: Alert Engine

Event ID: 318

Date:  3/16/2004

Time:  8:15:51 AM

User:  N/A

Computer: SQLNT4

Description:

Unable to read local eventlog (reason: The handle is invalid).

After that the Event log was successfully re-openned.

What could cause this error to arise? Any idea?

Regards,

Carl

• Carl,

I saw this once on a newly installed server where I'd forgotten to set the event logs to overwrite as needed.  After a couple of weeks, the system event log filled up and probably got corrupted in the process.  Changing the setting to limit the size of the log and rebooting the server fixed this for me.  I hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Thank's for your reply...

But all the event log (Application, security and system) are set to "Overwrite events as needed".

Also our server reboot every week.

Regards,

Carl

• Carl,

Did someone clear the application log while SQL Server was running? I have done that before and received similar error messages in the Event Viewer.

Jason

• Hello Jason,

No unfortunately this is not the case.

Best regards,

Carl

• Carl,

I have to wonder if the error has something to do with the SQL Server log and not the Windows log...

If I could suggest you take a look at the SQL Server startup parameters and check the entry for the -e flag (this is where SQL server logs go) and make sure that path exists and is writeable/readable by the account running the SQL Server service.

Worth a shot, at least.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• Jonathan,

Error logs are generated normally... I also tested if the SQL Server Agent service startup account was able to write in that directory: it works.

Thank's for your help,

Carl

• Can forum participants tell me if the following would possibly have an adverse impact:

a.  an OS backup in progress which was temporarily reading the event file.

b.  a virus checker which might have been reading the event log

c. a remote reader of the server's event log

d.  an OS search type function which was scanning the event log for specified text

TIA

GaryA

• I have been having simular entries in my log as well, they appear randomly.  I think this has somthing to do with my FTP site logging to my SQL Server. I have several FTP server logging to a central SQL server as well as my web sites.  This is almost like a timeout error on some SQL connection.  I though at one time it might be because of my backups but they occur befor and after backups.  I have only noticed this on SQLServer 2000 not on 7.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply