SQL Server

• Hello all,

I'm not overly au fait with the etiquette of posting on a forum like this so hope I'm posting in the correct area.

I would like to install a free version of sql server on my home laptop with SSMS, SSIS, SSAS (and SQL server agent - but I believe you can't get this on any of the free downloads) and visual studio.

I have installed SQL server 2017 developer and thought that I would get some of the above but appear to have none.

Could somebody help? I'd be happy to use an older version if that was my only option.

Thank you

Andy

• SQL Server developer is the full version of SQL Server Enterprise, but is allowed only the development work (using it in a production environment is against the terms of the licence). If you installed SQL Server Developer, and selected to install everything, then you will have the Data Engine, SSAS, SSIS, and SSRS installed.

If you didn't install specific features, like SSRS, then if you run the installer again you can add those features to your instance on your local machine. Make sure you select to option to add features to an existing instance, not install a new instance; otherwise you'll have 2 Data Engine instances on your machine.

The SQL Server Installation does not include SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) or SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) for Visual Studio (VS); those are separate downloads. You can download SSMS here, and SSDT here (I suggest SSDT for VS 2017 at this time).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom has nailed the core answer. I just want to add one suggestion for tooling. Get a copy of Azure Data Studio and try it out as well since you're just getting started. It's a much more light weight program than SSMS and offers some cool opportunities with PowerShell integration and Jupyter Notebooks.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply