SQL Server 2016 Standard Availbality groups

• Hi Guys,

I've been reading about the new feature for standard edition; availability groups. There are some restrictions, like 1 single database per AG, and limit of 2 replicas

Do you think this AG architecture is possible with Standard edition?

• If you're mirroring storage at the SAN level, why the AG then? That seems redundant, unless I'm looking at this wrong. The idea with the AG is that it's sending the data across from SQL Server to the other side.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/7/2016)

If you're mirroring storage at the SAN level, why the AG then? That seems redundant, unless I'm looking at this wrong. The idea with the AG is that it's sending the data across from SQL Server to the other side.

I think it is simpler than that Steve, at least at first blush. If you are mirroring the storage then the storage is not writable on the secondary, right?? You can't have a SQL Server doing stuff there such as replaying the log activity from a primary mirror.

Personally I am probably going to stick with database mirroring for quite some time on Standard Edition.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Hi,

May be the picture is confusing. The "mirror" is made by SQL Server AG (not by the SAN)

As far as I know, I'm using 3 nodes, but there is no problem with the limitation in Standard of limit of two replicas (primary and secondary). Isn't it?

• crcoracle (6/7/2016)

Hi,

May be the picture is confusing. The "mirror" is made by SQL Server AG (not by the SAN)

As far as I know, I'm using 3 nodes, but there is no problem with the limitation in Standard of limit of two replicas (primary and secondary). Isn't it?

Ahh, move the arrows up to the database level and it makes a lot more sense. 🙂

Two is correct for 2016 AG. Be sure you VERY CAREFULLY READ ALL THE STUFF about AGs. There are a LOT of caveats, limitations, provisos and gotchas (although thankfully less than when they were released)!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• If i understand is correctly your query, you want to achieve AG but you only have standard license. so you came up with the architecture diagram based on your understanding. just remove the storage mirroring link((the mentioned diagram says you are going to apply the storage mirroring)) in the diagram . AG will do the database mirroring .

• as Kevin has said just be aware of the limitations before you set this all up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply