sql server 2016 express installation headache

• I installed sql server express 2016 on a windows 2016 server.  Using the same extracted software, I installed SSMS using the last build for version 2016.
    I used the default settings for the sql server service acct and granted full rights to the account I used for the installation. I also set up an SA account and password.
    As a final step, I logged into sql server configuration manager and made sure the SQLEXPRESS protocols were all enabled.   After all this I rebooted the server for good luck.
    However it was not my day.  Using SSMS to connect failed using the sa acct and integrated security.   A network related or instance related error occurred while establishing a connection to sql server.  the server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and that sql server is configured to allow remote connections.  The remote computer refused the network connection.  Help please.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• If you're on the local host, then the only reason you can't connect with the sa password is 1 of a few reasons:

• You entered the wrong address for the server (server/instance name)
    • The service isn't running
    • You entered the wrong password.
    If you're sure of the first 2 that leaves the last. Perhaps you had CAPS LOCK on while you entered the password?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Can you confirm that you tried connecting from SSMS installed on the same machine as where SQL Express is installed?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• it is definitely the same server.   I'm also certain the service is running.  Since both sql and integrated security failed, I'll check the server address.
    Thanks.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

• fizzleme - Monday, November 26, 2018 3:01 PM

it is definitely the same server.   I'm also certain the service is running.  Since both sql and integrated security failed, I'll check the server address.
    Thanks.

Also check if the Browser service is not running or firewall ports not open.

Sue

• It appears the firewall is off.  The browser service is not running.   Should it be activated?
    After I tried all this, I used .\sqlexpress for the server name.  It worked!    But using the servername\sqlexpress or the ipaddress\sqlexpress still fails
    Pinging the server results in ::1:     A buddy with domain admin rights pinged it with no issues.   frustrated...

• fizzleme - Monday, November 26, 2018 5:11 PM

It appears the firewall is off.  The browser service is not running.   Should it be activated?
    After I tried all this, I used .\sqlexpress for the server name.  It worked!    But using the servername\sqlexpress or the ipaddress\sqlexpress still fails
    Pinging the server results in ::1:     A buddy with domain admin rights pinged it with no issues.   frustrated...

If it's not installed as the default instance (or it isn't listening on the default port) then try running the browser.
    The dot is used for local server so when you use .\sqlexpress, it connects to the local server from where ever you were connecting.

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply