SQL Server 2016 Express Installation Error

• I have been trying to install SQL Server 2016 Express on my computer with OS Win 10 Home and am getting the following errors during the installation process:
    "Could not find the Database Engine startup handle".
    After that nothing works, the setup process "ends with errors" and it's hosed.
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but got the same error series.
    What should be done to correct this?
    Below are screen shots of the errors and setup dialogs after setup completes:

• There's an article on TechNet about this on for SQL 2008-2014, I would hazard a guess that the same would apply for 2016 as well: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24364.sql-server-troubleshooting-could-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle-error-during-installation.aspx

If that doesn't help, could you past your error logs here? They should be located in: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\
    You may need to amend the path, depending where you attempting to install SQL Server.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:40 AM

There's an article on TechNet about this on for SQL 2008-2014, I would hazard a guess that the same would apply for 2016 as well: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24364.sql-server-troubleshooting-could-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle-error-during-installation.aspx

If that doesn't help, could you past your error logs here? They should be located in: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\
    You may need to amend the path, depending where you attempting to install SQL Server.

Ok, thx for the reply. I will take a look at the article and see if it resolves the issue. I find this irritating. 🙂  I have had SQL Express 2012 installed for years and it went off w/o a hitch. To me, installing SQL Express of any version should be a no-brainer and virtually never fail. (sigh) Sometimes I hate MS. 🙂
    Bill

• I had similar issues for SQL 2014 and 2016 Dev edition, on Windows 10 Home (not on Pro)

I had to do all the things in the article above, PLUS in the install use NT Authority\System for the SQL Server Database Engine.   Not pretty, but it worked for a test box.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Issue could be due to hardware.

Take a look at this link: https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2016/07/22/sql-server-install-error-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle/

• JasonClark - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:06 PM

Sometimes previous SQL Server is not uninstalled properly, the un-installation leaves account in broken state so any further attempt to install gives this error. Also, this reason SQL Server installation was successful in installing SQL Server and its services but due to some other limitation in system or other system related errors SQL Server is not able to come online.

This can be solved by uninstalling SQL Server completely, also check that no instance of SQL Server is remaining.
    this will help you for complete uninstallation:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms143412.aspx

Hope this help you.

Thx for the reply. I have SQL Express 2012 running on the machine. Are you saying that you cannot have SQL Express 2012 and SQL Express 2016 running on the same local machine?
    Bill

• johnwalker10 - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:25 PM

Thx for the reply. Tried the link but the web site indicated it was not a valid link.
    Bill

• wbc2 - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:26 AM

johnwalker10 - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:25 PM

Thx for the reply. Tried the link but the web site indicated it was not a valid link.
    Bill

Valid link:
    https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2016/07/22/sql-server-install-error-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Kevin3NF - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:49 AM

wbc2 - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:26 AM

johnwalker10 - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:25 PM

Bill

Valid link:
    https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2016/07/22/sql-server-install-error-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle/

Thx. After reviewing the Logs Summary txt files I don't think this is the problem. I think the basic issue was originally not running setup as Administrator. But once the problems start it's hard to get back to ground zero for a valid (re)install attempt. 🙁
    Bill

• Kevin3NF - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:05 AM

I had similar issues for SQL 2014 and 2016 Dev edition, on Windows 10 Home (not on Pro)

I had to do all the things in the article above, PLUS in the install use NT Authority\System for the SQL Server Database Engine.   Not pretty, but it worked for a test box.

After reviewing the article referenced by ThomA I have a few questions before I bollix up my system:
    1) The article references several Registry (sub-)keys that should be manually removed. The issue I have is that I have SSMS 2016 successfully installed so I cannot be sure which keys reference the engine only and some that may reference SSMS. Not sure what action to take here.
    2) There are folders/subfolders referencing SQL Express 2016 that still exist, not sure if these should be manually removed:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.SQLEXPRESS2016
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS ( Apparently a "Default" instance from the first time I tried to install 2016 )
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS2016

I believe the base cause is not originally running the setup as Administrator. But once the problems start it is very difficult to get back to ground zero w/o axing things that should not be axed.
    Any info on the abopve issues would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.
    Bill

• wbc2 - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:16 AM

Kevin3NF - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:05 AM

I had similar issues for SQL 2014 and 2016 Dev edition, on Windows 10 Home (not on Pro)

After reviewing the article referenced by ThomA I have a few questions before I bollix up my system:
    1) The article references several Registry (sub-)keys that should be manually removed. The issue I have is that I have SSMS 2016 successfully installed so I cannot be sure which keys reference the engine only and some that may reference SSMS. Not sure what action to take here.
    2) There are folders/subfolders referencing SQL Express 2016 that still exist, not sure if these should be manually removed:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS ( Apparently a "Default" instance from the first time I tried to install 2016 )

I believe the base cause is not originally running the setup as Administrator. But once the problems start it is very difficult to get back to ground zero w/o axing things that should not be axed.
    Bill

I removed everything (test box), including registry, Engine, all components, SSMS, leftover files in Program Files.  Every Thing.

Reboot, disable Antivirus, run files from a folder, not a Winzip windows, as admin and again, I used NT Authority\System as the startup account for the DB Engine.

I have no idea if this will work for you, but you are not alone in having this issue, and its not tied to a particular SQL version....I've seen posts on this going back to at least 2012.

• Kevin3NF - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:09 AM

wbc2 - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:16 AM

Kevin3NF - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:05 AM

Bill

I removed everything (test box), including registry, Engine, all components, SSMS, leftover files in Program Files.  Every Thing.

Reboot, disable Antivirus, run files from a folder, not a Winzip windows, as admin and again, I used NT Authority\System as the startup account for the DB Engine.

I have no idea if this will work for you, but you are not alone in having this issue, and its not tied to a particular SQL version....I've seen posts on this going back to at least 2012.

Ok, thx. (sigh) I don't relish this. Really don't want to hose my home computer. Main machine and only one I got.
    Bill

• if you have the ability to, now is an excellent time to make a backup of your PC (and set a restore point, as it's a home PC).

I haven't search, but it might be just worth seeing if you can find any other articles that cover the same steps, just to make sure they agree with each other.

Other than that, I can't not sure what else to suggest. Generally with things like this you do end up being quite brutal to your machine (in the sense of you're getting rid of every aspect of whatever remains). As long as your don't stray from the path the article says you should be fine (don't go playing with your OS or other application settings, for example).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:34 AM

if you have the ability to, now is an excellent time to make a backup of your PC (and set a restore point, as it's a home PC).

I haven't search, but it might be just worth seeing if you can find any other articles that cover the same steps, just to make sure they agree with each other.

Other than that, I can't not sure what else to suggest. Generally with things like this you do end up being quite brutal to your machine (in the sense of you're getting rid of every aspect of whatever remains). As long as your don't stray from the path the article says you should be fine (don't go playing with your OS or other application settings, for example).

Will do. My only real concerns are deleting the Registry (sub)keys and SQL 2016 folders. Thx for the input.
    Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply