SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor: The network path was not found

• We installed the SQL Server 2012 GUI tools, including "Upgrade Advisor," on a new virtual machine. We can connect to the old SQL Server 2008 R2 clustered databases just fine over port 1433 using SQL Server Management Studio 2012, but Upgrade Advisor is a mixed bag. Here are the steps we are taking:

- Click on "Start," "All Programs," "Microsoft SQL Server 2012," "SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor"

- Fill in the server name with a valid SQL Server Network Name

- Select "SQL Server" as the only component to be analyzed

- Fill in the instance name with a valid named instance

- Use Windows Authentication (the default)

- The "SQL Server Parameters" window displays valid database names, meaning that we have a successful connection to the desired SQL Server instance at this point

- Leave all of the databased selected (the default)

- Click the "Run" button

- The "Upgrade Advisor Progress" window spins for a while and eventually generates the following error:

TITLE: mscorlib

------------------------------

The network path was not found.

BUTTONS:

OK

Why would Upgrade Advisor be able to display the database names after making a successful connection only to fail later saying that it cannot find the network path?

I have seen Google references that mentioned the creation of an alias as a work around, but I have not found the right permutation. (For example, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/f6d1d9d4-c07f-460f-a8f4-c6f66839578a/sql-2012-upgrade-advisor-the-network-path-was-not-found .)

I opened a support call with Microsoft, and I was told flatly that Upgrade Advisor is *NOT A SUPPORTED PRODUCT*. Go figure... Yeah, I am disappointed in the response, but it's not worthwhile to chase Microsoft on this one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• I tried using SQL Server Configuration Manager to define an alias with the same name as the SQL Server Network Name, pointing to the clustered instance's IP address, but that does not work. I also tried defining an alias with the same name as the SQL Server Network Name, pointing to the SQL Server Network Name itself, but that does not work.

• I'm still looking for an answer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• I am getting the exact same issue.

Can we get some help please

• We never go it to work. We opened a call with Microsoft, and, to my dismay, Microsoft told me that this is unsupported software. Way to listen to your customers, Microsoft. Sigh...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply