SQL Server 2012 Beta Exam Results

• I took exam 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 last Thursday.

I'm not going to mention any details of the exam or how it was structured as I am sworn to a NDA.

I finished it, hit the submit button and waited while the screen went blank and the client communicated with a server somewhere, my heart beating. After what seemed like a long time (probably only 20 seconds) a message flashed up reading something like:

Thank you for completing the beta version of exam 70-461. You should receive your score report by mail before the live version of this exam is released. Score reports are usually sent eight weeks after the beta period ends. However, the processing of some beta exams might require additional time.

This was a bit of an anti-climax since I was expecting to see a PASS or FAIL. Was this a surprise to anyone else taking these beta exams?

Also does anyone have any experience of completing beta exams and have any idea of when Microsoft usually release the results, eight weeks after seems like a long time.

• richard.woodward (4/10/2012)

This was a bit of an anti-climax since I was expecting to see a PASS or FAIL. Was this a surprise to anyone else taking these beta exams?

No. The scoring isn't finalised when the beta exams are given, part of the beta process is figuring out which questions are too easy, which questions are too hard, which questions misleading, etc. Hence there's no way they could have told you pass/fail as that's not defined yet.

Also does anyone have any experience of completing beta exams and have any idea of when Microsoft usually release the results, eight weeks after seems like a long time.

8 weeks is about right, maybe longer. The results get released around about the time the exams are publicly available

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • good luck. i was going to sign up, but got the message that all the vouchers had been used 🙁 too bad, i think i'd of done well.

• when I've taken these in the past, that's what happens. As Gail mentioned, these are used to try and evaluate the questions. They'll somehow come up with a score and release it later.

IIRC, it has taken 6-8 weeks in the past. That might be quicker now, but we'll see. I took 3 last week and one more coming tomorrow.

• Thanks for all the answers. It probably wouldn't have been a surprise if I had read all the beta T's and C's, but I just didn't expect it at the time. It makes perfect sense that they would use the results to adjust the questions.

Steve - Good luck with your exam today! I have my last one tomorrow - 70-464 Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases.

• Thanks. Haven't done much special prep, so we'll see. I do think it's a good experience for me, and I've made a few notes after every exam of things to look up later and check. If I don't pass, I'll be better prepared the next time.

• Has anyone got the results?

I took 3 in SQL BI in April which I will fail mostly because of new features 😉 but knowing how well I did would help to prepare for proper exam.

Do you know if results will provide % score in different areas? Or is it just pass/fail for beta?

Regards

Emil

• I too wonder when the results will be sent out. The "real" exams 70-46[1..7] are available from today, so I had expected to receive my results already.

Sql Server blog: http://www.tsql.nu

• I haven't received my results yet either. Hoping it will be any day soon now.

• Same here, I was hoping to get the results last week... With the exams going live today, I think getting the results this week should be quite likely.

• I've learned much since I took the beta exams - just be nice to find out soon if I need to take em again!

• Just read on the Prometric website that I have passed the 70-463 beta exam! One down, two to go for my SQL 2012 MCSA 🙂

[font="Courier New"]______________________________________________________
    ... to select or not to select, that's the question...[/font]

• vand.erik (6/12/2012)

Just read on the Prometric website that I have passed the 70-463 beta exam! One down, two to go for my SQL 2012 MCSA 🙂

My congratulation !

I am preparing to pass exams. I think start with 70-461. Can you say me how much new questions were harder compared with queries in old exams (sql 2008).

Also intrested how many questions and time to answer have you got ?

MS SQL 2008 MCITP x 3
    MS SQL 2012 MCSE x 2

• neprosto (6/12/2012)

vand.erik (6/12/2012)

Just read on the Prometric website that I have passed the 70-463 beta exam! One down, two to go for my SQL 2012 MCSA 🙂

My congratulation !

I am preparing to pass exams. I think start with 70-461. Can you say me how much new questions were harder compared with queries in old exams (sql 2008).

If you already have mcitp 2008 admin/dev, then surely the upgrade exams would be the better choice?

• gordon.byers (6/12/2012)

neprosto (6/12/2012)

vand.erik (6/12/2012)

My congratulation !

If you already have mcitp 2008 admin/dev, then surely the upgrade exams would be the better choice?

You have a good point. But I want to pass exams from the beginning. For myself.

MS SQL 2008 MCITP x 3
    MS SQL 2012 MCSE x 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply