SQL Server 2008 SSMS Enhancements - Debugging Support

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server 2008 SSMS Enhancements - Debugging Support

• Very technical and well explained stuff. Thanks Jacob...:)

• Thanks,

Most people did not like the previous article because it was too short. May be they would like this 🙂

• Very useful artical.

• Do you know how the debugger handles temporary tables and/or table variables. Can you watch the contents of these table objects while a script is debugging and monitor their status?

• A quick try on my 2008 instance doesn't give me a way to grab table variable values in the debugger.

declare @t table (id int, mychar char(2))

insert @t select 1, 'A'

update @t set id = 2

select * from @t

• The debugger still requires sysadmin and unlike previous versions, there are no extended stored procedures to grant execute on. In a lot of environments, sysadmin can't be granted for various reasons so that leaves developers in a hole. The MSFT answer is to have them install Dev Edition but what do you do when the database is 400+GB with tons of interdependencies and pulls from multiple linked servers? Trying to create a "sub set" is not really possible. We're not happy:(

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• ApexSQL, after some fits and starts, should have a public beta of their debugger product out within a month. I have been advising them on the product and have been testing it since early alpha. It will blow your socks off, and provides a wealth of features (such as seeing temp table contents and code profiling) that the SSMS debugger can't touch. Oh, and it will work with SQL 2005 also. 🙂

Disclaimer: I have a close relationship with Apex, use their products and recommend them to my clients. Also, if you care to you can mention TheSQLGuru sent you you will get a discount and my daughter will get a few coins for her college fund.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• few coins...very good...:)

Well, I would like to have a Debugger feature with no sysadmin requirements, but to read and access some MSSQL resources sysadmin is required to debug.

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

• Good article.

Unfortunately the (setup) requirements for debugging in previous versions has prevented us from using it. It looks like this will still be the case.

• Jason Hall (10/15/2008)

Do you know how the debugger handles temporary tables and/or table variables. Can you watch the contents of these table objects while a script is debugging and monitor their status?

The debugger shows the values of variables except TABLE variables.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply