SQL Server 2008 R2 Licensing doubt!!!

• Hi All,

Need your help in the below scenario:

There is a physical server with 2 sockets/processor of 4 cores each and this server was virtualized with 4sockets/processor of 2 cores each.

The license which was originally purchased was for physical server (2 sockets/processor of 4 cores ) . Could you please let me know if a new license would be purchased for 2 more sockets after the server is virtualized(4sockets/processor) of 2 cores or not required as the earlier license brought for the physical server (2 sockets/processor of 4 cores ) covers 8 cores.

• It depends. Are you running SQL Server on the physical machine or just the VM? If you're running SQL Server on both, you either have to license for unlimited VMs or license the host and VM separately. Licensing for unlimited VMs means having Enterprise Edition licenses and Software Assurance.

If you are only running SQL Server in the VM, then all that matters is that you have a license for every virtual core. There is no distinction about how many socket or NUMA nodes there is or whether it is a physical core or logical core (hypertheading). In a VM if licensing via the VM model, you would have to have licenses for 8 cores. If that is what you have, and you are not running SQL Server on the host as well, then you are covered.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thank you very much. This cleared my doubt. The server was migrated to VM and physical was decommissioned.

• Just wanted to know if the license will be based on cores when hyper threading is on ?

• Sorry, i observe that was mentioned in the reply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply