SQL Server 2008 Named Instances + Failover Clustering

• Here’s the background: We have a 2 node Active/Passive SQL 2008 cluster with just the one default instance. We’d like to add a named instance to this node, but, of course, want it part of the whole clustered SQL environment. When trying to install a “New SQL Server failover cluster installation” it’s reporting that there are no shared disks available (Rule “Cluster shared disk available check” failed.). So, the default instance is using 4 shared drives: 1 for data, 1 for logs, 1 for MSDTC, and 1 for Quorum. I’m guessing we can’t “reuse” these? Is it just looking for a new Quorum drive, but I could then reuse the Data and Logs drives? I can’t seem to find an answer for this anywhere, and I need one kinda quick.

So, in a nutshell, per each instance how many new clustered drives to I need to add each time?

I've searched through the forums, but no one seems to answers questions like these at all, much less directly and succinctly.

Thanks for any help you can give!

• You need to have at least one disk available that is not assigned elsewhere.

You can put all of the SQL resources on that one disk (obviously not recommended) should you wish to, but it has to be available. The disk must be a part of the SQL Instance resource group and be set as an object that the SQL Services are dependant upon. Disk cannot be shared between instances in the cluster.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Nicholas Cain (3/4/2010)

You need to have at least one disk available that is not assigned elsewhere.

You can put all of the SQL resources on that one disk (obviously not recommended) should you wish to, but it has to be available. The disk must be a part of the SQL Instance resource group and be set as an object that the SQL Services are dependant upon. Disk cannot be shared between instances in the cluster.

In fact - you cannot even install another instance if you don't have a cluster resource defined in the cluster group you are using for that SQL instance. That single drive will be added as a dependency during the install.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• hi

how can i add a "disk" to a cluster? what kind of Resource do u mean? there're some resources which seem to be relevant, like "File Share", "Local Quorum", "Majority Node Set", and "Physical Disk". which one u mean? please let a newbie completely realize what u say.

thx

• I am not sure why you want to install another named instance on Active\Passive cluster? For adding shared drive to cluster services check with server team.

Check this out why you cant use single disk for multple instances on cluster,

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/283681/allow-multiple-instances-per-cluster-disk-group-on-a-sql-cluster

EnjoY!
  • I am not sure why you want to install another named instance on Active\Passive cluster?

1. what is Active/Passive and what is its difference with Active/Active? is there also something else like Passive/Passive?!

2. how can i realize that which one i've installed?

3. i just want to build a SQL Server 2008 failover cluster so that if one server gets offline or crashed we won't fail in servicing ppl. certainly if the performance get balanced between these two, it would be more ideal. i think this be the difference between Active/Active and Active/Passive that both servers in the former one service simultaneously and this causes the server loads get balanced. right?

so, i don't know that i've already installed a "named instance".

4. what's that? i've just setup a Windows Server Cluster since SQL Server 2008 failover cluster required it to be set up.

For adding shared drive to cluster services check with server team.

5. what do u mean by the server team? i have to manage the servers and investigate in how can i setup a SQL Server failover cluster. this is my own responsibility, not a team.

Check this out why you cant use single disk for multiple instances on cluster,

we're not going to setup multiple instances of SQL Server failover cluster. only one instance must be enough for now at least.

thank u for ur prompt response. looking forward to hear from u and hope a newbie may success by ur guidance.

• 1. what is Active/Passive and what is its difference with Active/Active? is there also something else like Passive/Passive?!

Active/Passive: Any given time SQL Services will be running on only one node, other node will just act like stand by by, if active node fail then SQL services will failover to other node which acts active node now, and other node acts as passive now.

Active/Active: At any given time SQL services will be running on both node, if one node fails then SQL services will failover to other node, that is two instances on same node now.

Passive/Passive: No such combination exist, unless you want to build 2 nodes and don't install any SQL services on them:-)

2. how can i realize that which one i've installed?

Go to cluster services and see which node is active.

3. i just want to build a SQL Server 2008 failover cluster so that if one server gets offline or crashed we won't fail in servicing ppl. certainly if the performance get balanced between these two, it would be more ideal. i think this be the difference between Active/Active and Active/Passive that both servers in the former one service simultaneously and this causes the server loads get balanced. right? so, i don't know that i've already installed a "named instance".

Clustering is High availability solution only, Not performance or load balance solution

For adding shared drive to cluster services check with server team.

4. what's that? i've just setup a Windows Server Cluster since SQL Server 2008 failover cluster required it to be set up.

You have do this if you want to install another instance on this cluster.

5. what do u mean by the server team? i have to manage the servers and investigate in how can i setup a SQL Server failover cluster. this is my own responsibility, not a team.

Looks like your environment doesn't have windows team, Usually they manage OS.

we're not going to setup multiple instances of SQL Server failover cluster. only one instance must be enough for now at least.thank u for ur prompt response. looking forward to hear from u and hope a newbie may success by ur guidance.

Check these links for cluster install.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1687

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1698

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1709

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1721

EnjoY!
  • 2. how can i realize that which one (Active/Active or Active/Passive clustering) i've installed as MSCS, i meant.

3. what is called a "Name Instance"?

You have do this if you want to install another instance on this cluster

i've to do what?

another instance of what? i've not yet installed an instance of SQL Server 2008 failover cluster on the Windows cluster i've created. i got the error i mentioned. so, if u mean if i want to install another instance of the SQL Server, not an instance already exists.

5. the Windows team in out organization has no experience in clustering yet. NLB is the end of the things they know. this is because they're doctors and just a few of them are technicians.

thank u for the links. i'm going to investigate in them.

• oh! i'm not using win2k8. i'm going to install sql server 2k8 enterprise ed. on win2k3 enterprise ed.

• my question with the same strength is still existing. let me describe the configuration more. i've two virtual servers, two Win2k3 Servers both include their virtual hard disk. the Majority Node Set is set as the quorum resource. i think it uses both virtual hard disks for maintaining logs and what is necessary for communicating between nodes by the cluster.

i've one additional virtual hard disk on the first node. the machines are provided by using VMWare. no SAN, SCSI, hard disk array device, etc. exists. just a simple sample for setting up and testing the failover behavior. that's all.

so let me repeat my original question:

hi

how can i add a "disk" to a cluster? what kind of Resource do u mean? there're some resources which seem to be relevant, like "File Share", "Local Quorum", "Majority Node Set", and "Physical Disk". which one u mean? please let a newbie completely realize what u say.

thx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply