SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

• Not sure if this is the right group for this, but I was wondering how stable is the current version (Beta 2) of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition?  I have a potential client that wants to sue Access for a website and I think the only reason that they don't want to use SQL Server is because of the cost.  Is 2005EE stable enough to run in production (this application isn't going to be pushing the database very hard)? 

• I have a quick look at it as part of the VS.NET Express 2005 Beta but not to the point of configuring it for support of a web site.

I would suggest you use the MSDE version which is a free download from MS, and is optimised for 5 concurrrent users.

I would not trust the beta for a production server.

• Nothing BETA is ready for production.

Since MS is not enven shipping an interface to it yet, that also should give you an idea how "ready: it is for a production environment.

MSDE2000 SP3a is fine for production.  If you have sontrol of the server it is going to be on then it can be installed eaisly.  If it is an external conpany doing the hosting, the SQL Server may not be available and they may not allow MSDE to be installed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply