SQL SERVER 2005 Clustering DISK SPACE

• Hi Guys,

We are planning to extend the Disk space of our shared data drive in clustering environment because our disk is going to be full soon. Our environment is windows server 2003 ENT [64 bit] with SQL SERVER 2005 Ent [64 bit] , active/passive SQL Clustering and SAN Storage. I want to know what kind of precaustions i have to follow as SQL SERVER DBA ? I am only administering SQL SERVER part. DO we have to reboot the nodes or can do it online also. Plz let me know..

THANKS

AKP

• If adding disk space is transparent to the OS, then it'll be transparent to SQL. Converse is also true.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Give me more details about the precaustions.

• You shouldn't have to do anything: make sure your system databases are backed up and if you like your users dbs too.

In effect your infrastructure team will tell the SAN to extend the LUN. You will just notice a bigger disk - if you monitor that sort of thing:-)

• thanks for your kind suggestions.

AKP

• based on experience, we have had the SAN occasionally decide that it was going to consume too many resources to resize the disk - and occasionally it has rebooted. In both scenarios we experienced an outage on the Database side. Though the SAN work was approved for during business hours - it still didn't look good to have an unscheduled outage.

I would recommend getting a scheduled outage window for it - just to cover your bases.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (10/23/2009)

based on experience, we have had the SAN occasionally decide that it was going to consume too many resources to resize the disk - and occasionally it has rebooted. In both scenarios we experienced an outage on the Database side. Though the SAN work was approved for during business hours - it still didn't look good to have an unscheduled outage.

I would recommend getting a scheduled outage window for it - just to cover your bases.

If that is a possibility - then agreed, schedule it after hours. However, since you are on a cluster - the failover will most likely not be noticed by your end users.

Again - if you think there is a possibility of any issues schedule it for after hours.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (10/23/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (10/23/2009)

based on experience, we have had the SAN occasionally decide that it was going to consume too many resources to resize the disk - and occasionally it has rebooted. In both scenarios we experienced an outage on the Database side. Though the SAN work was approved for during business hours - it still didn't look good to have an unscheduled outage.

If that is a possibility - then agreed, schedule it after hours. However, since you are on a cluster - the failover will most likely not be noticed by your end users.

Again - if you think there is a possibility of any issues schedule it for after hours.

We thought the cluster would spare us too, but since the SAN was viewed as unavailable to the server (while the san rebooted or while it consumed all resources to reallocate space - it made no difference.

Just a word of caution

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Oh - I agree and my preference is to do stuff like this after hours regardless. If you have a very good SAN team who has lots of experience with that particular SAN, then you should be able to trust them. If they say no problem, then you probably won't have any problems.

Again, do this kind of thing after hours if at all possible just to be safe.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply