SQL Server 2000 SP4

• Hi All

I am new SQL Server. I recently applied SP4 for on production SQL Server 2000 Enterprise SP3. Can anybody help me how to uninstall SP4. Its urgent.

Quick responses are appreciated.

Regards

• I could be totally wrong, but I don't think there is an uninstall for the service pack. You may be stuck with uninstalling the entire SQL instance, reinstalling the base software, and patching up to your desired level.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Hi All

I heard from people saying that whenever we install a SP, it seems an uninstall executable file will also be installed which shows in the log report. So that we can roll back service pack. But I didn't see any such executable.

Can anybody help me whether this is right ?

Thanks

• Completely Agree with John, there is no chance to rollback the Service Packs.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Under what conditions would you need to uninstall a service pack ? I haven't experienced problems, but it seems they do exist. This is the 2nd post in the last day or 2.

• In the past, I worked in a company which has a Vendor Application which uses SQL Server 2000 / 2005, but the Application is designed in such a way that, the Application Vendor's Support DBAs cannot agree to adding a constraint on some tables, may be such application Vendors needs to keep their Applications up to the mark with respect to the updates / SP's released in the Underlying Databases.

I correlate these people's issues with my experience and really, this is 3rd or more Post on uninstalling SP's in the last few days.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Hi All

Can you please tell me step by step procedures before and after reinstalling SQL ? Its little urgent.

Thanks

• I think the uninstall that you may be thinking of is when OS patches, hotfixes and service packs get installed, not SQL service packs. I agree with others here, you are probably stuck with uninstalling and reinstalling SQL up to the version that you had before.

What did SP4 break for you though? It has been out for several years now, and if something is broken by the SP, then there may be a hotfix rollup package that addresses it or a known work-around.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Are you sure you cannot keep going with SP4 ? If you give more details about your problem, maybe some of the experts here (not me) will have advice for you.

Reinstalling is not fun, especially in production. There are a few problems when reinstalling, so look for the MS documents about workarounds and fixes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply