SQL Server 2000 SP4

• My SQL server performance object missing from the drop down list after the memory upgrade!!!

Any idea how to enable it back???

Please help !

Thanks

• BlueIvy, that is a common problem when you have Performance monitor open and you are currently monitoring that instance. A restart of the service might help ( having of course closed all Performance Monitors ), if not, then a total server reboot should definitly fix the problem.

//Hanslindgren

• A note to support BJ's comments. I installed the 'fix' and now the AWE (memory allocation) problem is solved. I am going to monitor the systems I installed it on and if I encounter any problems I will post them at the end of the week.

• We are trailling SP4 on a test server and we are noticing SELECT queries are being blocked by themselves. I have found a couple of other people having this problem in other newgroups, has anyone noticed this behaviour

Regards

Adrian

• Hi Adrian, this behaviour is noted (hints are in the readme, and explanations in various postings).  In any case, they are not being blocked by themselves per se, but rather SQL is now (effectively) reporting when a query is waiting for one of its own latches to be released.

Unless you are seeing actual degraded performance compared with pre SP4, then this is not an issue.  If you are seeing actual degraded performance, you should probably consider running update stats, first.

Remember - google is your friend: SP4 query blocking itself

• Yes I had seen other entries uising google , but I can see this behaviour causing more headaches and red herrings/false alarms when using sp_blocker_pss80 sp_blocker_pss80 or other tools to find other real locking problems.

• All good with the hotfix in production - server is seeing RAM, and no VDI buffer errors (that we were seeing previously with SP4) so far.

We didn't see serious VDI errors until after about 3 days activity - so I'll post back in about a week if all is well.

• A previous post linked to the Google search for SP4.

I reviewed the entire thread at :

http://www.sqlnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/topic1883.aspx

Several users seem to be having some serious performance problems with SP4. This seems to be outside of the original issue with AWE.

Are these isolated incidents or are many people reporting performance problems?

Seems like there would be more discussion here on SQLServerCentral if the performance problems were widespread.

Any thoughts?

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• Can you post the hot fixes? I am desperate.

Thanks -jG

-JG

• Open a call.  If you have a SP4 AWE problem, they'll be able to qualify you quickly, and provide the hotfix.

And no, I'm not just being difficult - I don't have it at home where I'm writing this from.

• Maybe I am bing abit of a party pooper but maybe Microsoft are not so happy about passing around unrelased and not for public use hotfixes...

//Hanslindgren

• No, I wouldn't have thought so.

If you have a real problem where there is an unreleased hotfix, M$ will provide it to you - free of charge - if you qualify.

Qualifying isn't that hard - you need to be able to prove you have the problem that the hotfix fixes.  It took me less than 5 minutes on the phone.

However, if "we" start publishing hot fixes, the first thing M$ will do is make it much harder to qualify - they'll want better proof than I had to provide (and no, I'm not posting that here, either).  I don't really want to backup my 1.5TB database and my entire system image, send it to Redmond, wait till they restore it, and determine that I do have the problem, before they send me the hotfix.

So, no, given I know how easy it is to get the hotfix if you need it, instead of posting it or e-mailing it, I'd advise you to get it from PSS instead.

• Hi All,

I am sure you already have this, but just incase-here is the link to the hotfix (AWE memory allocation bug SP4)-http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7c407047-3f1f-48b8-9e4c-dc32875e1961&displaylang=en

Good Luck!

• I have applied the hot fix and it corrected my production issues, but I still see SPIDS Blocking themselves.

I never noticed this pre SP4. Should I still keep looking into the cause or is this expected now?

-JG

• Hmm. Did you read the post by 'BJReplay RE: SQL Server 2000 SP4 Posted 6/14/2005 2:58:00 PM'?

Unless you notice any performance degradation there is no need for panic!

//Hanslindgren

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply