SQL Management studio 2014 express edition

• Guys,

Can I use SSMS 2014 Express edition to connect to a lower and higher SQL server? e.g sql server 2005,sql server 2016, sql server 2017.

Is there a difference between using SSMS express edition and non express edition of SSMS?

Thanks

• bokswager wrote:

Guys,

Can I use SSMS 2014 Express edition to connect to a lower and higher SQL server? e.g sql server 2005,sql server 2016, sql server 2017.

Is there a difference between using SSMS express edition and non express edition of SSMS?

Thanks

There is not express or non-express edition for SSMS, its free . Its a tool to connect editions of SQL server and use the features, if u are connecting to Express edition of SQL Server you will have less features and if you connect to Enterprise you can view all features (ex:Agent)

• SSMS supports all version of SQL Server that were supported at the time of it's release, and sometimes is given compatibility for newer versions in patches (if a new client is not released). For SSMS 2014 that would be SQL Server 2005-2014. If you don't need 2005 support (and why would you need support for a version that has been unsupported for 3.5 years), I don't see why you wouldn't use the latest version of SSMS (2018), which supports 2008-2019.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply