sql login schema instead of dbo schema

• Hello,

In SQL server, when running select into statement for creating an object, the object is being creating with schema with my sql login ([Domain_Name]\[Sql_Login]) instead of dbo schema. When I use select * into dbo.table_name, the object is being creating with dbo schema, but it is a bit annoying to have to use dbo in every statement for creating objects.

Do I have to grant any special permissions for the sql login, or does it have to do with something else?

Thank you.

• You will need to set your default schema to be dbo on the user mapping screen, your DBA should be able to do this for you.

• Thank you very much, I have already solved the issue.

• You can also create a table as:

create table dbo.mytable(myid int)
  • You really should be schema qualifying all objects - it guarantees that the table/object being used is the correct object.  For example, if you had a table called Person in the dbo schema and the xyz schema - and user A has the xyz schema as the default, then any query they run will select from the xyz schema and not the dbo schema.

Further - if you don't specify the schema then a different plan will be generated for every user with a different default schema.  UserA has schema UserA - UserB has schema UserB - the same code will generate a plan for each schema.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply