SQL Licensing

• Can someone give me a link to the latest licensing info for SQL Server CALs (Client Access Licenses)?  I was under the impression that Win XP came with a CAL, but I'd guess for server access.  Do we need a CAL for each user who accesses our SQL data, or what?  The cost of licensing SQL Server on a processor basis is much more than CALs would be for us, I think, but I'd like to avoid buying CALS if we don't need them.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• I don't believe that any Windows OS ever had a CAL for SQL Server.  The closest thing I can think of would be an SBS cal has SQL CAL for the SQL Server on the SBS box (but not any other SQL Server).

The link you want is http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx

How many users?  I think the breakpoint for single-processor Standard Edition license to CAL is around 20-25 users.  And do you need the features of Standard edition.  Workgroup Edition is only $730 with 5 CALs.  Do you really need Mirroring or Clustering?

Mark

• Thank you, Mark.

We're using SQL 2000 Enterprise, mostly because of the increased RAM handling capability.  (We're running it on a 16GB box, so the entire database fits in RAM.) 

I searched MS site, and can't find out if SQL 2000 Ent comes with 25 CALS.  If it does, then we'll have plenty for our users. 

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply