SQL Installation on Windows 2008

• Hello,

I have task of SQL 2008 installation (2 installation) on windows 2008 cluster server ( 2 Node).

There are 2 approaches comes to my mind.

1st Approach = Perform 1st Installation from Node A and from Node B, add node to SQL failover cluster. Perfrom 2nd installation from Node B and then From Node A, add node to SQL failover cluster

2nd Approach = Perform both installation fron Node A and then from Node B, add node to SQL failover cluster for both instances.

Is there any differences in above approaches. If yes, then which one is best recommended.

Regards,

Chetan

• it doesnt matter, 2nd approach is probably easier and would be the way i would do it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks perry for confirmation

• Hi jain..

Second approach would be better as said by perry... as you are performing first instance installation on Node A and Node 2 you are performing 2nd instance installation... it s the way we are also following in our envy..

• Perry Whittle (2/22/2013)

it doesnt matter, 2nd approach is probably easier and would be the way i would do it.

Perry, In our envi we just have one node ready for installation. So we are planning to install the failover cluster on single node and add the other node when it's available. Will there be any issues ?

• muthyala_51 (3/8/2013)

So we are planning to install the failover cluster on single node and add the other node when it's available. Will there be any issues ?

Apart from the fact you'll have no failover capability you can add the second node when you're ready

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry,

One more doubt on the cluster setting? Do we have to go with the default node majority or node and disk majority as we will be adding the second node later? Any complication if we go with node majority first and then change to the other ?

Thanks,

• muthyala_51 (3/9/2013)

Perry,

One more doubt on the cluster setting? Do we have to go with the default node majority or node and disk majority as we will be adding the second node later? Any complication if we go with node majority first and then change to the other ?

Thanks,

When forming the cluster with the one node it will default to node majority. This is not an issue since if you lose the one node you have no cluster anyway 😉

Once you add the second node you then change the quorum type to match the number of cluster nodes in your cluster config.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply