SQL Encryption

• I am looking at encrypting some of the data was wondering if you have used encryption and looking for any inputs and thoughts based on there use. Thanks in advance!

• There are several encryption features that have been around in SQL Server for a long time. For starters, column-level encryption has been available since SQL Server 2005. This type of encryption uses either certificates or symmetric keys such that, without the required certificate or key, encrypted data remains hidden from view. SQL Server 2008 (Enterprise Edition) added Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) to encrypt the entire database–again, using a special database encryption key–so that without that key, the entire database (and its backups) remains encrypted and completely inaccessible (though notably, data is still fully exposed in memory).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/sql-server-encryption?view=sql-server-ver15

This is what I came up. Any thoughts?

• Also based on my research noticed Idera has bigger encryption stuff too. Any thoughts on this?

• Encryption is a complex topic. What to write about it depends more on requirements than the features involved. This is really just running functions on data when storing/retreiving, so depending on what you want to accomplish, there are different ways to look at this.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Encryption is a complex topic. What to write about it depends more on requirements than the features involved. This is really just running functions on data when storing/retreiving, so depending on what you want to accomplish, there are different ways to look at this. mcdvoice

Thank you so much for helping with this wonderful article.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  lordtiansm.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  lordtiansm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply