SQL Developer Skills

• Hey everyone,

I have been working with SQL Server 2012 and T-SQL for almost 2 years, on the development side. I have also been working with SSRS, more on a beginner to intermediate level. I have recently passed my Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam and and currently working on bringing my SSRS level up to a more intermediate-advance level. I also have some knowledge of C# and HTML/CSS, but have not had any formal development or problem solving training. Even though I currently work with SQL on a weekly basis, my core job role is standard Help Desk Analyst. I am wanting to transition into a full time SQL developer position and was wondering what other skill sets I should plan on working on? I know that it can very depending on what a company is looking for, but any advice would be much appreciated!

• Is there any chance you could do some SQL work where you are working now? Maybe there's a chance you could do so for a few hours a week. If so, I would then ask what additional skills would be beneficial.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I already do some SQL querying at work, as well as write reports (mostly for my department). My company is small, though, and we have just one developer that acts as a DBA (not his strong suit) and there is not much over and above report writing he does as far as SQL development goes (maybe some LINQ queries in his code here and there). I am not interested in the administration side of SQL, more the development side and while I plan on continuing to work on and grow my overall development skills, I want to focus on SQL Querying. Just curious if there is anything else I should start to work on/learn if I plan on transitioning into a full time SQL developer somewhere.

• Rizk.Christopher (5/20/2015)

I have been working with SQL Server 2012 and T-SQL for almost 2 years, on the development side. I have also been working with SSRS, more on a beginner to intermediate level. I have recently passed my Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam and and currently working on bringing my SSRS level up to a more intermediate-advance level. I also have some knowledge of C# and HTML/CSS, but have not had any formal development or problem solving training. Even though I currently work with SQL on a weekly basis, my core job role is standard Help Desk Analyst. I am wanting to transition into a full time SQL developer position and was wondering what other skill sets I should plan on working on? I know that it can very depending on what a company is looking for...

I already do some SQL querying at work, as well as write reports (mostly for my department). My company is small, though, and we have just one developer that acts as a DBA (not his strong suit) and there is not much over and above report writing he does as far as SQL development goes (maybe some LINQ queries in his code here and there). I am not interested in the administration side of SQL, more the development side and while I plan on continuing to work on and grow my overall development skills, I want to focus on SQL Querying. Just curious if there is anything else I should start to work on/learn if I plan on transitioning into a full time SQL developer somewhere.

My SQL career started as a Help-Desk Analyst and have since worked as a SQL Developer, DBA, BI guy... My advice is to volunteer and do as much SQL server-related work as possible and update your resume accordingly. If you have the certification and some experience that is probably enough to get job as a Jr. Developer. Do as much self-study as you can; SQLServerCentral is a great resource and you can download/install SQL Server Express for free.

Take some time to learn/understand SSIS. You don't have to be a guru but I have noticed that more and more SQL Developer roles require some experience (or at least familiarity) with SSIS. If you have some experience with HTML/CSS and developing reports you may be able to get some work doing SSRS work. There is a real shortage of those SSRS developers these days. It's not uncommon that a company will be willing to pay for and/or offer some training.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• I'd learn to rebuild reports, trying different queries, and complex structures. Work on windowing functions, and learn to write queries that can easily summarize your data in new ways. Find islands, produce percentiles, etc. with the data.

I'd learn about calendar tables and tally tables (good articles here on site) and how you can use them in queries.

• So, it sounds like I just need to continue and grow my skills with both SSRS and just querying. I do plan on trying to re-write some of our complex reports here at work for practice as well. And I do want to know a little more about SSIS as well as continue working on my overall development/problem solving skills. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply