SQL Azure instance doubt

• Hi All,

Can we change the port no of Azure Sql Instance? Today, someone was asking me. I thought Azure instances is completely managed by Microsoft right? We will just use a database right? if that is the case, can we change the port number? if it can changed , how to change it? is there a tool like configuration manager ?

Please correct me if I am wrong or I am missing anything?

Thanks,

Sam

• Being that Azure SQL is a PaaS service, no you do not have any control over the infrastructure side of that service...meaning port and all. You control access to a given server for Azure SQL via firewall access for a given IP or IP range. So I really see no reason to have a desire to change the port itself.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Thanks Sir.  Is there any supporting MSDN documentation link which tells we cannot change the port number so that I can share that information with team.

• The only article that seems to mention ports being open on the firewall is when you are configuring firewall rules for Azure SQL. There is a note that shows you have to allow 1433 on your network.

There is no specific statement in the docs that state you cannot change the port configuration for Azure SQL server.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply