SQL Autogrow Option

• Is it a good idea to have Auto Grow and Auto Stats options enabled on a OLTP system having 30-40 transactions per second. If not, what should be the strategy so that you don't run out of space.

Thanks

• I'm a developer rather than DBA so I might be contradicted ..

Auto Grow is OK. Ideally you should pre-allocate the database, monitoring the used space vs allocated regularly so you can increase allocation manually, in big infrequent increments, to avoid fragmentation from lots of small auto-grows. I would leave Auto Grow on as a safety net.

Auto Stats - this is implicitly Auto Create Stats, separate to Auto Updating Stats. Opinion might be more dividided. I would Not have Auto (Create) Stats, because its of little use to the optimiser to create stats where there are no indexes, if the tables are well designed and have indexes on appropriate fields. Though some disagree. I would keep Auto Updating Stats though.

• I agree Auto Grow is fine as long as you prepare accordingly for expected growth...I however very often turn off the Auto Create Stats.

Aurora

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply