SQL Agent Job Owner

• I work on a development team that runs about 20 database servers and somewhere around 300 databases. And we don't have a single DBA among us. Our CIO is convinced that having an outsourced company monitor key severs is sufficient. As you would assume, our SQL server performance has been degrading, so I've been taking it upon myself to learn as much as I can to try and keep things afloat.

One thing that has always bothered me is the Owner field on SQL Agent jobs. By default it puts our windows creds as the owner when we create a new job. All of us on the team are Sys Admins on just about every box, so it works that way. But in the past we had someone leave and we deleted their account from SQL. Naturally every one of their jobs began to fail. So we went through and changed the owner of all of his jobs to SA.

I'm wondering what is considered "best practice" here? Should we use SA or another dedicated account? Or should we create dedicated accounts for each application that has a job? Thanks in advance.

• We mostly use SA as owner and few of our instances have service account as an owner..

• Not sure if this is best practice: At my job, the DBA has a dedicated windows account used for DBA tasks. It seems to work well, as it is practically SA, but can also be admin for servers, etc.

I think this would be a good poll question. I'm interested also to hear what the consensus on this site say is best practice.

• I don't want to double post, but if an admin can somehow convert this thread to a poll I think that would be interesting as well.

• We use SA as Job owners or in some cases if it is required to run under application account we prefer service account

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply