SQL 2019 - Upgrade to CU8 has broken server. (Help Appreciated)

• Hiya,

I took 2 machines from SQL 2019 CU5 to CU8 absolutely fine.

The 3rd is giving me trouble.

The install failed, and I uninstalled the bits it had left as prompted.

On attempting to start I get this >

Script level upgrade for database 'master' failed because upgrade step 'msdb110_upgrade.sql' encountered error 7303, state 1, severity 25. This is a serious error condition which might interfere with regular operation and the database will be taken offline. If the error happened during upgrade of the 'master' database, it will prevent the entire SQL Server instance from starting. Examine the previous errorlog entries for errors, take the appropriate corrective actions and re-start the database so that the script upgrade steps run to completion.

I have got it going using trace flag -T902 to bypass the upgrade script, so technically the server is up.

We've had to address some permissions issues as it seems like the Public role got destroyed.

I have tried restoring the master database from 2 different copies from before the upgrade attempt.

This didn't work.

The error number 7307 seems to be about linked servers, which there are several of. They all connect fine.

SQL is reporting itself to be 15.0.4073.23 (CU8) as if CU8 had been applied successfully.

I've not had an upgrade error for years, it's been plain sailing for me.

Any ideas much appreciated.

R

• My first step - check the logs.  Not JUST for the error you reported here, but the lines before and after that.  I suspect that there is a bunch of errors and some of the others MAY provide more information.  What is weird is that error 7303 should have severity 16, not 25.  This is why I am thinking something else is throwing severity 25 and for some reason it is just bringing back the wrong error number.

I am also thinking the problem MAY be with a different database than master, just being reported in master with that particular error.  Reasoning here is that you restored from backup and still are getting errors.

If the logs don't have anything else useful in them, my next step would be to reach out to Microsoft.  It COULD be a bug in their upgrade script that is specific to something on your server (some setting set wrong, previous upgrade had a problem, gremlins in the network, etc) and throwing the wrong error.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply