SQL 2012 - Login and Query time out without any known problem

• Hi,

Recently moved the Development to SQL 2012. Server has more the sufficient resources available. No CPU or Memory or network pressure at all.

Still connecting from clients hangs and timeout without any known reason. No traces in the event log either.

For Example:

Connecting SSMS from client and it gives time out error

and

after the error, very next second it connects successfully.

it is not frequent but still happening quite often during the day.

is this something to do with SQL 2012 server configurations? No issue on server with previous editions.

Any clue?

thanks.

• It's not a problem that I've run into or heard about. Are the connections being made from up to date libraries? The appropriate version of ADO or whatever? That might be an issue. It would also explain why there are no errors on the server.

Was the install an upgrade of the existing system or a side-by-side install? If the latter, you might be looking at port or firewall issues as there will be a different port for a second server.

Based on the information we have, I'm just not sure, but I can say it's not a standard error that lots of people are getting.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant Fritchey,

New machine, new installation of SQL2012 and restored the backups on new server

New client machine and new installation of SQL2012 client tools.

Its not quite often but still its happening and almost irritating to everyone once a day at least. Firewall is definitely not an issue otherwise it will not allow to connect very next moment.

Still could not get my head around with this issue and its really hard to reproduce this scenario.

Any other suggestion please.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply