SQL 2012 Always On Groups Configure Listener

• Good Morning,

Recently started looking after a SQL cluster that has Always On setup. There is 4 instances set up and each of them have a listener configured apart from the default instance.

Doing some digging I have found a load balancer which seems to have all the listeners configured apart from the default instance. 

My question is does it need one? and if so can it use one that already exists or do I need to create a new one?

Thank you in advance for any help here.

• danny3291 - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:22 AM

Good Morning,

Recently started looking after a SQL cluster that has Always On setup. There is 4 instances set up and each of them have a listener configured apart from the default instance.

Doing some digging I have found a load balancer which seems to have all the listeners configured apart from the default instance. 

My question is does it need one? and if so can it use one that already exists or do I need to create a new one?

Thank you in advance for any help here.

each group should have one listener if required, multiple listeners can be configured but usually one will suffice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Each listener should not use the same default port 1433, when you are instance stacking as you appear to be doing.
    This is MS advice.

• Super Cat - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:26 AM

Each listener should not use the same default port 1433, when you are instance stacking as you appear to be doing.
    This is MS advice.

Multiple listeners may listen on the same port as they will have a unique Virtual Network Name and Virtual IP, more here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply