SQL 2008 Truncate Table No Longer Resets Identity Column

• [sorry admins, couldn't a 2008 thread to post this in]

In moving my ETL processes from 2005 to 2008 I discovered the truncate statement no long performs the undocumented feature of reseting the identity column.

I now have to use this additional statement.

DBCC CHECKIDENT('name-of-table', RESEED, 0)

Might be old news but I just thought I'd put it up here for the next person googling this one.

If there are better ways to do please do tell.

thanks gang

Skål - jh

• Per BOL -

If the table contains an identity column, the counter for that column is reset to the seed value defined for the column. If no seed was defined, the default value 1 is used. To retain the identity counter, use DELETE instead.

So - if the table was defined with a seed other than 0, then that is what it will reset to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• thank you.

on the table seeding was set to 1 seed, and 1 increment,

then 0 seed, and 1 increment.

Then identity insert is toggled on then off to insert a zero ID row.

In both cases, the rest of the inserts after truncation resulted in Identity of 2.

Only with that DBCC command could I get the IDs to start at 1 as expected.

Skål - jh

• I've just run a test against a Sql Server 2008 instance and it seems to reset the Identity column just fine when you Truncate the table.

• That has been my experience as well.. I just tested it.. It resets to the seed..

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply