SQL 2008 on development machine, with SQL 2005 on production server

• Our production and test database servers are both at SQL Server 2005. One of my colleagues needs to do some development with SQL CE, which apparently can be done using SSMS from SQL Server 2008. Great, cool and all that. However, I've got some questions.

1) Can we install the SQL Server 2008 Client Tools on our development machines and have them work against the production SQL Server 2005 databases on the production server? Can we do everything that we need to in SQL Server, using the SQL 2008 client tools against SQL 2005?

2) A corollary to #1, can I put the SQL 2008 Developer Edition onto my development machine, and still work with the production SQL 2005 databases? (I like to put the developer edition of the database onto my development machine too, not just the client tools.)

3) Can we develop SQL Server Reporting Services reports on our development machines, if we've got SQL 2008 installed, that will run in SQL Server 2005?

4) My colleague wants to know if he can install SQL 2008 client tools onto his system and leave the SQL 2005 client tools there as well?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• 1) Yes, 2) Yes, 3) I have built reports with 2008 tools and deployed to 2005 RS, and 4) Yes. 😀

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Rod - After thinking about it, I can't say that about #3. Not certain. So, test that but, you can leave the 2005 tools on there anyway just in case you have problems which I don't think you will.

Thanks.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thank you, David, for your reply. Being able to leave the SQL 2005 client tools and (in my case) developer edition of SQL 2005 on my machine, and install the SQL 2008 client tools and developer edition, would be great.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Just a vote. 1,2,4, yes because I've done them.

3. I'm not sure, but I lean towards no. I guess it depends on how you create the report. I'm just not sure because I've never done it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply