SQL 2008 downgrade to 2005

• I am being told by our purchasing dept. that they can no longer purchase sql 2005 from our only approved vendor. Lets just assume this is true. Can you purchase sql 2008 standard edition with 2 processor licenses and then downgrade to 2005 standard with 2 licenses? Someone from the vendor side told our purchasing people this is acceptable and doable.

Anybody ever heard of this?

Anybody have any links to any documentation surrounding downgrading?

Jimmy

"I'm still learning the things i thought i knew!"
  • I don't have a link to documentation available, but yes this is allowed in the license agreement. Google for the SQL Server 2008 Licensing Guide and it is in there.

• Exactly.

If you require SQL Server 2005 for existing solutions, you can still acquire additional licenses by taking advantage of the SQL Server 2008 "downgrade rights." The downgrade rights enable you to purchase server plus device CALs, server plus user CALs, or processor licenses for SQL Server 2008 and install and use the previous version for a reasonable period of time.

• Downgrade rights are here: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

• Thanks,

I think i was getting stuck on the thought of physically installing sql 2008 and then downgrading it some how to sql 2005. I understand now that it is really that you simply purchase a 2008 license, but physically install 2005 using the 2008 licenses.

Thanks for the replies and clarification.

Jimmy

• Also i wonder what this vague phrase means... "for a reasonable amount of time" under the How do I downgrade to SQL Server 2005? from the link Steve provided. See below.

If you require SQL Server 2005 for existing solutions, you can still acquire additional licenses by taking advantage of the SQL Server 2008 "downgrade rights." The downgrade rights enable you to purchase server plus device CALs, server plus user CALs, or processor licenses for SQL Server 2008 and install and use the previous version for a reasonable period of time.

Jimmy

• You don't downgrade the server. The license has downgrade rights. You just install a SQL Server 2005 instance from the SS2K5 media

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply