SQL 2005 Licenses

• Hello,

I notice when installing sql 2005, it no longer ask for what license model to use. In sql 2000, you can select per cpu or per connection. How do i go about finding what model sql is using and is it possible to change between cpu to per cal?

thanks in advance

• Try the folowing Transact SQL query to find the license information:

SELECT serverproperty('LicenseType')

Also see Books Online: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174396.aspx

Hans

• thanks for the repley, but that is disabled in 2005. only way to get it working is modifying the registry and run the statement.

• Hi,

you may want to read http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/faq.mspx

Q. Can I switch from the SQL Server 2005 server plus CAL licensing model to the processor licensing model or from the processor licensing model to the server plus CAL licensing model?

A. Yes, it is possible to switch your licensing model, but it requires you to purchase the appropriate licenses, which often does not make economic sense until you upgrade to a new version of the product. Generally, switching from server plus device CALs or server plus user CALs to processor licenses makes sense only when you need to allow Internet and extranet access or when the number of users is expected to grow significantly, in which case moving to per processor licensing is more cost-effective.

Note: should you choose to switch from CALs to the processor licensing model, Microsoft does not provide credit for the CALs you may have already acquired.

Unlike SQL Server version 7.0 and other previous versions that enabled a one-time conversion from "per-server" (now per processor) to "per-seat CAL" (now device CAL) licensing at no cost, the per processor licensing model and server/CAL licensing model differ in price and benefit so the one-time switch is not possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply