SQL 2005 Backup problem...

• I have a database that was upgraded from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.  We are running Windows 2003 and SQL 2005 with SP1.  When I try to do a backup on the database I get the following error:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot use the backup file 'D:\MSSQL2005\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\BIOS.bak' because it was originally formatted with sector size 65536 and is now on a device with sector size 512. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)I have never encountered this before and can't seem to find much info on Google.  So thought I would ask here.  Any thoughts?
    SJ
  • I never saw this... but is this backup taken to server or disk OR CD/DVD?...

Try to backup WITH INIT option again... and then try again...restore...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Are you appending to an existing backup file?  Try backing up to a new file.

Your backups on the existing file appear to have been created using a BLOCKSIZE of 65536 bytes.

E.g.

BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = 'c:\test_01.bak' WITH INIT, FORMAT, BLOCKSIZE = 65536

BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = 'c:\test_01.bak'

The 2nd backup fails because the default BLOCKSIZE for a disk backup is 512 bytes, raising the same error you encountered.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply