sql 2000 db running on sql 2005 with cmptblt level 80

• Hello Everyone.

I recently moved my sql 2000 database to a new sql 2005 SP2 server and set compatibility level to 80.

The new server is a Dell 2950 with 4 dual core CPU's and 32 GB of RAM connected to a SAN in which i only store datafiles. the connections between the server and SAN is fiber and the ethernet connection between web servers and sql server is at 2GB.

Tran Log files are located on the servers E drive which is RAID 1.

The Server is set to dynamically control RAM.And usually stands around 5-7 GB.

Every now and then (which almost every 2 days) the server starts to pile up connections.

There is not much traffic on the site but the connections keep on coming as if they are processing something. Ram starts to increase and gets to about 16-18GB at which time the web servers (IIS) start to crash.

I have to restart the sql server to bring everything back to normal.

I did not have this problem with sql server 2000.

I'm not sure what to do here but can there be something wrong with this setup?

like having tran log and datafiles on separate drives?

Should i move the datafile to the E drive together with tranlog and see if that works?

Any help appreciated.

Alex S
  • Connections to the SQL Server or the web server(s)? You do not want the log and data files on the same drive so don't move them.

• Have you done a stats update on all tables after the move to 2005?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jack

Connections to SQL Server.

Gila

Yes i did run update stats on all tables.

Alex S
  • Are you seeing queries running longer than they should? Are you seeing blocking? If the queries have high wait times, what are they waiting on?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/15/2008)

Are you seeing queries running longer than they should? Are you seeing blocking? If the queries have high wait times, what are they waiting on?

Gail

This morning it happened again and most connections had this

FETCH API_CURSOR0000000000002815 (the last 5 digits varies)

Our site was written in ASP mixed with .NET. Everything was working fine in sql 2000.

Initially i thought it was the ODBC problem so i upgraded to SQL NATIVE CLIENT.

We have 12 other sites which are working fine.

Alex S

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply