SQL 2000 cant not login using servername\Instancename

• Hello,

After sql server restart I've noticed that I can login remotly only using:

instancename

instancename,port

IP,port

But can not login using only: Instancename (before restart that was possible)

Can someone give me a hint what has been changed?

KR,

Porter

• andrzejthc (10/5/2016)

Hello,

After sql server restart I've noticed that I can login remotly only using:

instancename

instancename,port

IP,port

But can not login using only: Instancename (before restart that was possible)

Can someone give me a hint what has been changed?

KR,

Porter

As a guess, maybe the issue is that you have to specify the port whenever you login now? If that's the case, the first thing I would check is the browser service and make sure it's running.

Sue

• Thanks for your replay.

Generally I found the reason - there is no listener on UDP 1434...

But can someone tell me why after manual restart, server did not start listen on this port again?

Is there any way to enable this listener manually?

Kind Regards

Porter

• andrzejthc (10/10/2016)

Thanks for your replay.

Generally I found the reason - there is no listener on UDP 1434...

But can someone tell me why after manual restart, server did not start listen on this port again?

Is there any way to enable this listener manually?

Kind Regards

Porter

That is the Browser service that I mentioned. Check the startup status of the service. You can go to services and start it up manually or from the command line run: net start sqlbrowser

Sue

• Wasn't SQLBrowser introduced in SQL2005?

In SQL 2000 there is no such service...

extract from internet:

in SQL Server 2000 the first instance to start up on the server starts the SQL Server Listener, which does not show up as an independent service like SQL Server Browser (meaning you can't turn it off). The rest check in when they start up, if you are running multiple instances. This is one of the reasons that the SQL Server Browser Service came into being - SQL Slammer targeted the listener

KR

Porter

PS: Restart of whole machine solved a problem.

Question: Is it possible to start SQLListener without machine restart? - is still valid....

• andrzejthc (10/11/2016)

Wasn't SQLBrowser introduced in SQL2005?

In SQL 2000 there is no such service...

extract from internet:

in SQL Server 2000 the first instance to start up on the server starts the SQL Server Listener, which does not show up as an independent service like SQL Server Browser (meaning you can't turn it off). The rest check in when they start up, if you are running multiple instances. This is one of the reasons that the SQL Server Browser Service came into being - SQL Slammer targeted the listener

KR

Porter

PS: Restart of whole machine solved a problem.

Question: Is it possible to start SQLListener without machine restart? - is still valid....

Yep sorry it's called the listener service on SQL Server 2000, serves same purpose. The only way to restart it is to restart SQL Server service.

Sue

• Ok, Thanks

I think that closed the topic.

KR

Porter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply