Spatial Data Type

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Spatial Data Type

• Nice and simple to start the week, thanks.

• Thanks Devendra Kumar for this question. According to the answers it is seen that the new documentation is to put it politely, misleading
    and old documentation is hard to find. πŸ˜‰

• George Vobr - Monday, May 1, 2017 7:32 AM

Thanks Devendra Kumar for this question. According to the answers it is seen that the new documentation is to put it politely, misleading

I am happy that my memory still serves me well...  πŸ˜‰

Thanks, Devendra!

• Nice question, thanks Davedra
    Glad to see my memory hasn't failed as yet.

• George Vobr - Monday, May 1, 2017 7:32 AM

Thanks Devendra Kumar for this question. According to the answers it is seen that the new documentation is to put it politely, misleading

Hard to find?  Good heavens, what's hard about using a search engine?  This is a trivial thing to look up, Google will find you the right page fairly quickly if you keep your searches simple and don't try check all 5 possible answers in a single search. Search for "What's new in SQL Server 20xx" for each relevant value of xx working backwards from the earliest release you know contained spatial data types (or from the newest of the 5 releases mentioned in the question if you don't know whether any of them have that feature), ignore the obviously irrelevant pages in the search results (for example titles containing "Reporting Services" aren't going to lead you to anything about a Database Engine new feature, or pages released too long before the release contents were finalised), and you will only need to look at one page per release to get the answer.

For me it was extremely easy, because  the only possibilities were 2008 and 2005 (I didn't know whether it ws in 2005 or not, never having used it and only having looked at it very briefly to decide to reject upgrading to it and wait for something better).   My first search gave What's New (SQL Server 2008) as the first hit so I went there, clicked on the second link in the list of subtopics on that page, "What's New (Database Engine)", and there was the answer.

Tom

• TomThomson - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:14 AM

George Vobr - Monday, May 1, 2017 7:32 AM

Hard to find?  Good heavens, what's hard about using a search engine?  This is a trivial thing to look up, Google will find you the right page fairly quickly if you keep your searches simple and don't try check all 5 possible answers in a single search. Search for "What's new in SQL Server 20xx" for each relevant value of xx working backwards from the earliest release you know contained spatial data types (or from the newest of the 5 releases mentioned in the question if you don't know whether any of them have that feature), ignore the obviously irrelevant pages in the search results (for example titles containing "Reporting Services" aren't going to lead you to anything about a Database Engine new feature, or pages released too long before the release contents were finalised), and you will only need to look at one page per release to get the answer.

For me it was extremely easy, because  the only possibilities were 2008 and 2005 (I didn't know whether it ws in 2005 or not, never having used it and only having looked at it very briefly to decide to reject upgrading to it and wait for something better).   My first search gave What's New (SQL Server 2008) as the first hit so I went there, clicked on the second link in the list of subtopics on that page, "What's New (Database Engine)", and there was the answer.

I agree with you that Google search is a trivial thing. I used a euphemistic expression "hard to find", don't take it so seriously. I guessed that it was in SQL Server 2008, but I had the bad luck that I was looking for "Spatial Data".
    I found a useful links on the Simple Talk and MSSQLTips, but in the end I ended up at MSDN Working with Spatial Data (Database Engine). It was quite fun...:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply