sp_help_revlogin

• Hello All,

Typically I export the results of sp_help_revlogin to a file on a daily basis for backup/DR purposes.

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'osql -d master -E -Q "EXEC sp_help_revlogin" -w 300 -o \\MyFolder\Users.sql'

What are my other options for outputting this to a file if xp_cmdshell is not enabled?

This is a 2008 R2 server.

Thanks.

• BCP utility

Ryan
    //All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them//

• Chrissy321 (5/18/2011)

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'osql -d master -E -Q "EXEC sp_help_revlogin" -w 300 -o \\MyFolder\Users.sql'

What are my other options for outputting this to a file if xp_cmdshell is not enabled?

Why not use PowerShell?

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• You could use a powershell sql agent task. I've not tested this but I know the agent module has certain filesystem restrictions so if this isnt possible you could do this externally as a windows scheduled task on another server (backup server as a central point?)

invoke-sqlcmd is the powershell command and | out-file to write it as an output file.

• I'll try the powershell approach and report back.

• I'm running into this issue when I try to edit a job with a powershell step.

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/557402/ssms-can-no-longer-create-or-edit-job-steps

I thinks this is unrelated to the powershell script.

This works from the ps command line

invoke-sqlcmd -query "exec sp_help_revlogin" -database master -serverinstance Sever\Instance | export-csv -path C:\Users.sql

This fails from the ps command line

invoke-sqlcmd -query "exec sp_help_revlogin" -database master -serverinstance Sever\Instance | export-csv -path \\MyNetworkServer\MyFolder\Users.sql

Error:Cannot open file because the current provider (SqlServer) cannot open a file.

I'll need to come back to this tomorrow...

• You may be running into a limitation in the mini-shell. I seem to recall there are some limitations there. Try rewriting it and directly invoke Powershell.exe and change the job type to Operating System (cmdexec)

• sounds like it could be NTFS\share permissions on the file path. The NTFS permissions may be correct but if setting up a new share and not modifying the share permissions they will default to Everyone readonly. When share and NTFS permissions combine the most restrictive applies. Be worth checking the permissions first

I prefer BCP for my login exports

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (5/18/2011)

Doesn't BCP require xp_cmdshell to call it?

• Chrissy321 (5/18/2011)

You can use BCP with Powershell.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2479434/run-a-shell-command-with-arguments-from-powershell-script

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Craig Purnell (5/18/2011)

You may be running into a limitation in the mini-shell. I seem to recall there are some limitations there. Try rewriting it and directly invoke Powershell.exe and change the job type to Operating System (cmdexec)

Errm, Thats what I said.

MysteryJimbo (5/18/2011)

You could use a powershell sql agent task. I've not tested this but I know the agent module has certain filesystem restrictions so if this isnt possible you could do this externally as a windows scheduled task on another server (backup server as a central point?)

invoke-sqlcmd is the powershell command and | out-file to write it as an output file.

• Chrissy321 (5/18/2011)

Perry Whittle (5/18/2011)

No it's an external SQL server executable. I use a SQL server agent job to execute it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Can anyone provide specifics on using BCP through SQL Agent?

I have a 'Operating system (CmdExec)' step set up with the following command.

bcp master.dbo.sp_help_revlogin out c:\test.txt -n -SMYSERVER\MYINSTANCE -T

I am getting an error.

...NativeError = 208 Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'master.dbo.sp_help_revlogin'. Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

• Chrissy321 (5/18/2011)

Can anyone provide specifics on using BCP through SQL Agent?

I have a 'Operating system (CmdExec)' step set up with the following command.

bcp master.dbo.sp_help_revlogin out c:\test.txt -n -SMYSERVER\MYINSTANCE -T

I am getting an error.

...NativeError = 208 Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'master.dbo.sp_help_revlogin'. Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

BCP is designed to export from a table or a query. The object you have specified is a stored procedure, See the following

From a table

bcp master..syslogins out "c:\Loginsout.dat" -N -S MYSERVER\MYINSTANCE -T

• I hoping to generate scripts which I could run on a different server so I'll need sp_help_revlogin. I may look at SSIS or maybe return back to my adventures with powershell...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply